Easy recipe for one giant Italian meatball topped with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese. This homemade, oven baked meatball is perfectly juicy and filled with flavor!
If you’re looking for a tested, trusted, and foolproof meatball recipe, you’ve come to the right place. This wonderful Italian meatball is classic comfort food and is so easy to make too.
Made with just a few ingredients and baked in a small baking dish, this giant meatball is perfect served on its own, surrounded by your favorite pasta, or sliced and enjoyed in a meatball sub.
This easy meatball recipe yields one large meatball. It’s the perfect amount if you’re cooking for one.
Ingredients In One Giant Meatball
Scroll down to the recipe box for the complete recipe instructions
For this meatball recipe, you will need:
- ground beef
- chopped onions
- bread crumbs
- egg yolk
- garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- tomato sauce, for topping
How To Make A Meatball
Complete instructions are in the recipe box below
Just mix the ingredients together and form the meatball into a large round ball.
Cover the meatball with tomato sauce and bake in the oven.
How To Make A Low Carb Meatball
You can make this a low carb, keto meatball by either leaving out the bread crumbs and adding an additional 2 tablespoons of shredded Parmesan or by using almond meal instead of breadcrumbs.
Almond meal is coarser than almond flour and is a good substitute. In a pinch, almond flour will work too.
Can You Freeze Meatballs?
Yes! Meatballs freeze incredibly well, so go ahead and double or triple this recipe to make two or three meatballs.
Just combine the ingredients, form the meatball and freeze it either cooked or uncooked.
If frozen uncooked, thaw the meatball in the refrigerator overnight before baking. If cooked, the meatball can be thawed and then heated either in a pot of simmering sauce for 10 minutes or in the microwave.
Meatballs can be stored for up to 1 month in a freezer container or in a freezer bag.
Can The Meatball Be Made Ahead?
Yes, the meatball can be shaped and refrigerated for up to 1 day before cooking.
What Should I Do With The Leftover Egg White?
You will only need to use the egg yolk in this meatball recipe. Keep the egg white in a covered dish in the refrigerator and use it in scrambled eggs or in any of these small batch recipes:
Best Meatball Sauce
We have a small batch tomato sauce recipe that we love here at One Dish Kitchen and it would be perfect with this Italian meatball.
If you don’t want to make homemade sauce, no problem. Jarred tomato or Marinara sauce is perfectly fine and absolutely delicious too.
What To Serve With A Meatball
Although this meatball makes a hearty meal on its own, buttered noodles would make an excellent side dish.
You might also like to consider any of these easy single serving side dish recipes:
Other Single Serving Ground Beef Recipes
If you like this meatball recipe, you might also like to try any of these recipes:
For this easy meatball recipe, I use a 5-inch baking dish. For best results, use a dish of similar size.
If you would like additional information on the dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes we use, please visit our Store page.
Italian Meatball Recipe
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese , plus 1 tablespoon for topping
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 4 ounces ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- Heat oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Whisk the egg yolk in a medium-sized bowl until lightly mixed. Add the Parmesan cheese, parsley, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper, and whisk to combine.
- Add the ground beef to the egg mixture. Use your hands or a large spoon to thoroughly mix the egg mixture into the ground beef.
- Add the onions and breadcrumbs. Mix them into the meat using your fingers or the spoon.
- Pour the oil into a small baking dish, swirl to coat the bottom of the dish. Form the ground beef mixture into a large ball and place in the center of the baking dish. Top the meatball with tomato sauce.
- Place the baking dish in the oven and cook for 20 minutes. (The meatball is done when cooked through, and when it reaches an internal temperature of 165° F on an instant-read thermometer.)
- Remove from the oven and top with 1 Tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. Cover baking dish with a sheet of aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes. Enjoy hot.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community! to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!