A classic lasagna recipe! This mini lasagna is made with just 2 lasagna noodles and layered with meat, cheese, and sauce. Baked in a small baking dish, this lasagna is the perfect amount to serve one or two people.
I get many requests from my readers asking me to turn their favorite recipes into single serving versions. I enjoy the challenge of scaling down recipes and I love when I can fulfill a reader’s request. You might be surprised to learn that a lasagna recipe for one person is one of my most requested recipes and it certainly surprises me that it’s taken me this long to provide one. After all, just about everyone loves a classic lasagna dinner, right?
Lasagna is quite possibly the most popular casserole for feeding a crowd.
What’s not to love?
Perfectly spiced beef filling, melted cheese and a flavorful tomato sauce between layers of soft lasagna noodles – it’s hearty and incredibly delicious, so why not make a mini version.
If you’re cooking for one or two people, large traditional lasagna recipes are entirely too big. Leftovers are wonderful but no one wants to eat lasagna leftovers for a week.
The recipe I’m sharing today is a scaled down version of my classic lasagna recipe.
It’s baked in a 5-inch baking dish. Technically, it’s made for one person but could very easily serve two.
This mini lasagna recipe bakes in just 30 minutes. It’s the perfect size to serve one or two people.
If you are looking for low carb lasagna recipes please check out our Zucchini Lasagna For One. This easy lasagna recipe is very similar to a classic lasagna but it uses thin strips of zucchini instead of lasagna noodles.
How To Make Lasagna
Detailed Lasagna Recipe with ingredients amounts can be found in our recipe box below.
The ingredients you will need in this easy recipe are:
- 2 lasagna noodles
- olive oil
- chopped onions
- minced garlic
- ground beef or ground turkey
- Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper
- Tomato or Marinara sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Ricotta cheese (*see notes)
- Parmesan cheese
Cook two lasagna noodles according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
Cook the meat in a small skillet along with chopped onions, minced garlic, and the seasonings.
Add in the sauce and simmer.
Step 3: How To Layer Lasagna
Line a small baking pan or oven safe dish with the noodles as shown in the pictures. Top with the meat mixture, sauce, and the cheeses.
Fold the noodles over the meat mixture.
Top with the sauce, Mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese; bake for 30 minutes.
Pro Tip: As I mentioned, I used a 5-inch dish in this lasagna recipe. If the cooking vessel you use is deeper or longer, you might be able to add another lasagna noodle to your recipe. Just keep in mind that you don’t want to use a dish that is too much larger than the one suggested. It could result in a dryer lasagna.
Tips To Keep In Mind When Making Lasagna
- This lasagna recipe is made with Ricotta cheese but you can substitute with cottage cheese.
- To keep it simple, you can use jarred tomato sauce or you can make your own with our Small Batch Tomato Sauce recipe.
- Although this lasagna recipe calls for using ground beef, consider replacing half of the beef with ground pork for added flavor.
- Bake the lasagna in a dish that is about 5-inches in diameter or use a dish of a similar size. A mini loaf pan or large ramekin will work well.
- After the lasagna has cooked, let it set on the counter for at least 15 minutes before eating.
Low Carb Lasagna
Leave the noodles out altogether and create a wonderful low carb zucchini lasagna. This veggie lasagna recipe features the same fabulous flavors but with fewer carbs and calories. It’s made with thin slices of zucchini.
If you would like additional information on the dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Other Easy Single Serving Ground Beef Recipes
- 2 lasagna noodles
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 8 ounces ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese plus extra for sprinkling over the top
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over a medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for a minute more.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper over the meat. Cook and stir the ground beef until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir the ricotta and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese together in a small bowl. Set the bowl aside.
To Assemble The Lasagna
- Spread 3 tablespoons of the sauce into the bottom of a lightly greased small baking dish. Line the bottom of the baking dish with noodles.NOTE: If you are using unbroken lasagna noodles, they will drape over the sides of the baking dish.
- Top the noodles with the meat sauce, followed by the Ricotta mixture, and 1/2 of the shredded Mozzarella.
- Fold the noodles over the meat mixture to cover.
- Top with the remaining sauce, Mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese.
- Place the baking dish on a large baking sheet (to catch any spillage) and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes or until cheese on top has melted.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!