Healthy, low carb, cheesy zucchini lasagna made with all of the wonderful ingredients found in a traditional lasagna but without the noodles. Substitute thinly sliced zucchini noodles for the pasta and enjoy a tasty gluten-free, single serving meal.
I get many requests from readers for lightened-up, single serving comfort foods and this cheesy keto Zucchini Lasagna Recipe For One is our latest.
If you follow a keto, low-carb or gluten-free diet, then this recipe is for you. Zucchini lasagna is also wheat-free, low in calories and incredibly flavorful.
Zucchini noodles are so tasty you won’t even miss pasta noodles!
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- olive oil
- chopped onions
- ground beef or ground turkey
- Italian seasoning
- black pepper
- tomato sauce
- Ricotta cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- mozzarella cheese
See below for ways to use leftover ingredients.
How To Dry Out Zucchini Noodles
- Begin by slicing 1 small zucchini into thin strips. You can do this either by hand with a sharp knife or by using a mandoline.
- Lay the zucchini strips on a long cutting board or a tray and lightly sprinkle salt over them. Zucchini contains a lot of water. When you salt the zucchini, the salt pulls the water out of the vegetable and also lightly seasons it at the same time.
- Let the zucchini strips sit undisturbed for about 10 minutes. After this time, dry the zucchini well with a paper towel.
How To Make Lasagna
- Heat the oven: Preheat the oven to 350 degree F (177 C).
- Brown the meat: Cook the meat, onions, garlic, and seasonings in a medium sized skillet.
- Make the sauce: Add tomato sauce and simmer.
- Mix the cheeses: In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta and some of the parmesan cheese.
Pro Tip: Make this a vegetarian lasagna by leaving out the meat.
How To Assemble Zucchini Lasagna
- Spread a few spoonfuls of the meat sauce into the bottom of the dish. Then, line the bottom of the dish with zucchini noodles. Layer with 1/2 of the meat mixture, then 1/2 of the ricotta mixture, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat by adding another layer of zucchini strips, and the remainder of the meat sauce, ricotta mixture, and mozzarella cheese. Finish with the final layer of zucchini strips and top with the remaining tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes or until the top layer of cheese has melted.
- The size of your baking dish will determine how many layers you are able to add. For this zucchini lasagna recipe, I use a 5-inch baking dish and I can get one layer of filling between the zucchini noodles.
- The size of the baking dish I use holds 16-ounces. Its measurements are: 5-inches x 5-inches and is 1 3/4-inches tall.
- You can also use a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan for this recipe. With a loaf pan, you will be able to add an additional layer.
- This recipe makes one large serving or can be the perfect sized meal for two people if served with a salad or other side dish.
If you would like more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
To see examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this zucchini lasagna recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes:
- Zucchini: Zucchini Noodles with Garlic and Shrimp, Vegetable Enchiladas, Roasted Vegetable Pasta
- Onions: Baked Stuffed Fish Fillet, Turkey Chili, Shrimp Creole
- Ground beef: Swedish Meatballs, Goulash, Taco Salad
- Ricotta cheese: Caprese Toast, Baked Ziti, Lasagna
- Parmesan cheese: Parmesan Crisps, Alfredo Sauce, Giant Italian Meatball
- Mozzarella cheese: Eggplant Parmesan, French Bread Pizza, Chicken Margherita
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 8 ounces ground beef , or you can use ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt , plus a big pinch for zucchini
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce , divided
- 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese , divided
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese , divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices. Lay the zucchini strips on a long cutting board or tray and lightly sprinkle salt over them. Let the zucchini strips sit undisturbed for 10 minutes. After this time, dry the zucchini slices with a paper towel.
- To prepare the meat sauce, heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over a medium heat. Add in the onions and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the minced garlic and cook, stirring occasionally for a minute more.
- Add the ground beef to the pan and sprinkle the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper over the meat. Cook and stir the ground beef until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir the ricotta and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese together in a small bowl. Set the bowl aside.
- To assemble the zucchini lasagna, spread 3 tablespoons of the sauce into the bottom of a lightly greased small baking dish. Line the bottom of the baking dish with slices of the zucchini. Top the zucchini with 1/2 of the meat sauce, followed by 1/2 of the Ricotta mixture, and 1/4 of the shredded Mozzarella.
- Repeat by adding a second layer of zucchini slices, the meat sauce, Ricotta mixture, and 1/4 cup of the Mozzarella.
- If you have room in your baking dish, top with a final layer of zucchini noodles, the remaining 1/4 cup of tomato sauce, and the remaining cheeses. If you don’t have room for the zucchini, top with only the remaining sauce and cheeses.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese on top has melted.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
We’re new and we’re growing. Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!