Easy Chicken Margherita recipe made with one chicken breast or thigh, pesto, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and topped with a lemon garlic sauce. An wonderful easy to make, low carb single serving meal.
You’ll love the flavors in this easy to make Chicken Margherita recipe. It’s such an easy meal to make with very little prep time involved.
What Is Chicken Margherita?
My husband’s mother loves eating dinner at The Olive Garden. Every time we visit this restaurant, she orders Chicken Margherita.
Chicken Margherita is a light, yet hearty meal made with one chicken breast, pesto, shredded mozzarella cheese, and fresh tomatoes.
You’ll want to skip the restaurant and make this wonderful low calorie, low carb meal at home. It’s a real winner!
Scroll down to the recipe box for the complete ingredient list and full recipe instructions.
You might be familiar with the Olive Garden’s Chicken Margherita already. If you’re not, prepare to be wowed.
For this simple yet elegant looking meal, you will need:
- one boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh
- mozzarella cheese
- basil pesto (store bought or homemade)
- cherry or grape tomatoes
For the sauce:
- lemon juice
- chopped parsley
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this chicken margherita recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes:
- Chicken: Chicken Caprese, Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken Burrito Bowl, Chicken with Mustard Sauce
- Mozzarella cheese: French Bread Pizza, Zucchini Lasagna, Eggplant Parmesan, Baked Ziti
- Pesto: Smoked Salmon with Eggs and Pesto
- Tomatoes: Mediterranean Pasta and Shrimp, Shrimp and Prosciutto Pasta, Greek Salad
- Lemon juice: Lemon Bars, Lemon Scones, Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Garlic: Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp, BBQ Chicken Legs
- Parsley: Chermoula, Baked Stuffed Fish, Crawfish Beignets
How To Make Chicken Margherita
See complete recipe instructions in the recipe box below.
- Place the chicken breast in a small baking dish.
- Drizzle the chicken with olive oil, top with pesto, and scatter chopped tomatoes around the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 30 minutes, remove the baking dish from the oven and add mozzarella cheese to the top of the chicken.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and spoon the lemon garlic sauce over the top.
Note: You may find your chicken needs a bit more salt. If so, add a pinch more. Many brands of mozzarella cheese and jarred pesto contain different amounts of salt. For best results, taste and add more if needed.
How To Make Lemon Garlic Sauce
- Melt butter along with a minced clove of garlic in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally for a minute.
- Stir in lemon juice and chopped fresh parsley. Remove from heat and add salt if desired.
What To Serve With Chicken Margherita
Buttered noodles would be a great addition to Chicken Margherita, but you might also like to enjoy any of these single serving dishes too:
Tips For Making The Best Chicken Margherita
Pro Tip: I like to keep chicken pieces in my freezer so that I can pull one out, defrost it, and cook it when I want it. Look for chicken breasts (or thighs) and purchase them when they’re on sale. Then, immediately divide, individually wrap, and freeze the pieces for later use.
- The USDA recommends freezing chicken breasts no longer than nine months for optimal quality so be sure to record the “frozen on” date on your packages of chicken.
- To keep this recipe super simple, you might want to purchase a small jar of pesto from the grocery.
- If you choose to make homemade pesto and use it with this chicken recipe, store the rest in a covered container in the refrigerator. Consider using the pesto in breakfast recipes, in a dip, mixed with pasta, or on pizza. Homemade pesto will keep for a week if covered in the refrigerator.
Other Single Serving Chicken Recipes
- Baked Chicken Tenders
- Cashew Chicken
- Chicken with Artichokes
- Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken
- Enchiladas Verdes
- Chicken Cacciatore
For information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil , divided
- 1 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 ounce shredded mozzarella cheese
For The Lemon Garlic Sauce
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Pour 1/4 tablespoon of the olive oil into the baking dish. Swirl so that the oil coats the bottom of the dish. Place the chicken breast in the baking dish.
- Spoon pesto over the chicken breast. Scatter tomatoes around the chicken and drizzle the remaining olive oil over the chicken and the tomatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- After the chicken is cooked through, sprinkle Mozzarella cheese over the top. Place the baking dish back into the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes, until cheese has melted.
Lemon Garlic Sauce
- Melt the butter over medium heat in an 8-inch skillet. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley and cook for a minute. Pour sauce over chicken and enjoy hot.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.