Easy Creamy Mustard Chicken Recipe – a single serving version of a classic French dish. One chicken breast (or thigh) cooked in a velvety smooth and creamy mustard tarragon sauce. The ideal amount for anyone cooking for one. Serve over rice or pasta.
When my kids were small, I would often make this creamy mustard chicken recipe for dinner. The flavor of the chicken with a mustard tarragon sauce is spectacular and my family loved the big chunks of chicken smothered with sauce served over a plate of pasta.
I loved the fact that this dish came together quickly, tasted gourmet and was fairly inexpensive to put on the table. It’s a meal that was perfect for a busy weeknight but also beautiful enough to serve guests.
I’ve taken the same low carb Chicken With Mustard Sauce that I’ve been making for so many years for my large family and scaled it down to serve one person.
This chicken recipe has the same wonderful ingredients found in the original version but now it’s the perfect amount for one.
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- salt & pepper
- heavy cream (also known as double cream)
- dijon mustard
- dried tarragon
Start by cutting one chicken breast into cubes. Heat a little butter in a skillet and add the chicken to the pan. Cook the chicken, then transfer the chicken pieces to a plate.
Add cream to the same pan along with a teaspoon of dijon mustard and 1/2 teaspoon of dried tarragon. Stir the sauce for a few minutes until it begins to thicken. Add the chicken back to the pan and stir to coat all of the chicken with the sauce.
Serve the chicken with mustard tarragon sauce with rice or over pasta.
If you’re following the keto diet, this mustard chicken needs to be on your menu. Instead of serving it with rice or pasta, try serving it with a delightful cauliflower mash.
Dijon mustard and tarragon go so well together and the velvety smooth sauce is ideal with chicken. I’ve even used the mustard tarragon sauce with salmon and shrimp as well.
What To Serve With Chicken With Mustard Sauce
Other Popular Chicken Recipes
If you like this Chicken With Mustard Tarragon Sauce For One recipe , you might also like these easy and incredibly delicious single serving chicken recipes…
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Creamy Mustard Chicken Recipe
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into strips or cubes (about 8-ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and add to the pan.Brown chicken pieces on all sides. Reduce heat and cook, covered, 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a plate, cover with foil to keep warm. Add cream to the skillet; scraping up the brown bits from the pan.
- Stir in the mustard and tarragon. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Taste sauce and add additional salt if necessary. Add the chicken back to the pan and stir to coat each piece of chicken with the sauce.
- Pour over cooked rice or pasta.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!