Vanilla Pudding For One! Rich and creamy vanilla pudding recipe made with a few simple ingredients. Better than boxed and so easy to make!
Friends, I am so excited to share this single serving vanilla pudding recipe with you today!
This dessert started out as simply a need to satisfy my sweet tooth, not as a dessert recipe to develop and share.
Once I started to make the pudding and tasted the finished product, I knew this easy homemade pudding recipe was one I needed to tell you about.
Homemade Vanilla Pudding
Boxed pudding brags that you can make “homemade” pudding in minutes. Well, I urge you to ignore that claim and make real pudding from scratch with this easy recipe.
With this vanilla pudding recipe, you won’t find any artificial thickeners or flavorings – just real ingredients, many of which you likely already have in your fridge and pantry.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- a pinch of salt
- vanilla extract
How To Make Vanilla Pudding
- The cream and sugar are heated in a small saucepan and while the cream is heating, whisk together the cornstarch and a little more cream in a separate bowl.
- When the cornstarch is smooth, pour it into the cream/sugar mixture and continue to heat. As the creamy mixture heats and cooks, the pudding slowly becomes thicker.
- After about 10 minutes, remove the pot from the heat and stir in the vanilla and butter.
- Pour the vanilla pudding into a small dish or ramekin and refrigerate until chilled. Top the pudding with a little whipped cream and fresh berries or enjoy it all by itself.
Pro Tip: Mixing the cornstarch with a little cream before adding it to the pot practically guarantees that you will not have any lumps in your pudding. Just mix it well until it’s smooth.
What To Do With Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this vanilla pudding recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving recipes:
- Cream: Lime Posset, Chocolate Mousse, Crustless Quiche Lorraine
- Cornstarch: Lemon Meringue Pie, Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken, Coconut Cream Pie
- Vanilla extract: Two Vanilla Cupcakes, Vanilla Ice Cream, Coffee Creamer
Other Single Serving Pudding Recipes
- Chocolate Pudding
- Butterscotch Pudding
- Chocolate Rice Pudding
- Traditional Rice Pudding
- Bread Pudding With Whiskey Sauce
- Breakfast Bread Pudding
The rich, wonderfully sweet taste of the vanilla pudding will take your tastebuds by surprise!
The vanilla flavor is intense in the most glorious way! This vanilla pudding is thick, luscious and over-the-top delicious and the perfect dessert for anyone cooking for one.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream , divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream , optional
- fresh berries , optional
How To Video
- Pour 1 1/4 cup of cream in a small saucepan on medium-low heat. Stir in the sugar and salt. Cook until mixture begins to steam, about 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup cream in a small bowl and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Add cornstarch mixture to the heated cream; cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and stir for 5 minutes, until thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and butter. Continue to stir until butter has melted.
- Pour mixture into a small ramekin or bowl. Put plastic wrap directly on the pudding to prevent formation of a skin. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 20 minutes.
- Top with whipped cream and berries, if desired.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
We’re new and we’re growing. Join us to share your favorite recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen! Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.