This Strawberry Shortcake recipe is the perfect size to satisfy a sweet tooth. One homemade buttery shortcake biscuit sliced in half and filled with sweet sliced strawberries and fresh whipped cream. Ready in minutes!
There’s something so satisfying about a recipe that you can make quickly, has simple ingredients that are likely to be your pantry, and can be made with the freshest fruits of the season. This Strawberry Shortcake recipe is a perfect example. It’s an easy dessert that you can enjoy soon after you decide to make it.
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This strawberry shortcake recipe is the perfect recipe to use when you have fresh strawberries on hand but it’s also ideal if you want to make a peach shortcake or a mixed fruit shortcake.
The shortcake is a made from scratch and is as easy to make as a homemade biscuit. The “biscuit” is slightly sweet with a hint of cinnamon and served with fresh, sliced strawberries and a hefty dollop of whipped cream.
How To Make The Best Strawberry Shortcake
For this easy shortcake biscuit, begin by whisking together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
Cut cold butter into the flour mixture until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
Mix in milk and spoon onto a baking sheet. Shape into a circle.
Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Remove the biscuit from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
Slice the biscuit in half, spoon sliced strawberries on the bottom half and top with whipped cream. Top with the remaining biscuit half.
How To Make Homemade Whipped Cream
You can certainly use whipped cream purchased from the grocery store but homemade whipped cream takes just minutes to make and tastes so rich and wonderful. The only ingredients needed are heavy cream and sugar.
Pour 1/4 cup of cream and 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar into a small mixing bowl. Whisk until the cream reaches soft peaks, about 2-4 minutes.
This delightful strawberry shortcake makes the perfect sized dessert (or even breakfast!) for one person. It’s a family favorite with ingredients scaled down to serve one or two.
Other Strawberry Recipes
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 2 tablespoons milk (if dough appears too dry, add 1/2 tablespoon more milk)
- 1/4 cup sliced strawberries
- whipped cream (*see notes)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl.
- Cut cold butter into the flour mixture using either a pastry blender or your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in the milk and stir until just combined. Spoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat and shape into a circle.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until top is golden.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the whipped cream if you are making it yourself.Pour the cream and the sugar in a small mixing bowl. Whisk just until the cream reaches soft peaks, 2-4 minutes. Store any unused portion in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Slice the biscuit in half, spoon sliced strawberries on the bottom half and top with whipped cream. Top with remaining biscuit half.
- Dust top with powdered sugar, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionists’ advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!