If you’re a fan of chocolate and peanut butter, you will absolutely love these Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies. They’re also known as Peanut Butter Blossoms and they’re heavenly. This small batch cookie recipe will yield 6 Peanut Butter Blossom cookies.
Peanut Butter Blossoms always make an appearance on our cookie tray during the holidays. Everyone loves them, and what’s not to love? Creamy peanut butter and rich chocolate are a classic combination. You might know these classic cookies by another name too, Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies.
When my kids were small, they used to love making these special cookies with me. Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies are just so easy to make, tiny hands can help with very little supervision.
My kids loved rolling the balls of cookie dough between their hands and then rolling the balls in sugar. But the best part was unwrapping a Hershey’s Kiss and pushing it into the center of the warm cookies.
What Are Peanut Butter Blossoms?
Peanut Butter Blossom cookies made their debut in 1957 when they were submitted as an entry in the Grand National Pillsbury Bake-off competition. Ohio baker, Freda Smith intended to make a batch of peanut butter chocolate chip cookies but when she went to grab a bag of chocolate chips from her pantry, she realized that the bag was empty. Instead, Freda grabbed a bag of Hershey’s kisses and placed one on the top of every cookie.
Her cookie did not win first place, yet Peanut Blossoms are one of America’s most popular cookie recipes. These wonderful cookies have been seen on nearly every kitchen table in America.
Small details of the recipe tend to vary from baker to baker, but in essence Peanut Butter Blossom cookies have two main ingredients; peanut butter and chocolate.
How To Make Peanut Butter Blossoms
When working on this small batch peanut butter blossoms cookie recipe, I didn’t want to stray too far from the original. I wanted to keep the same flavor and texture of the large batch cookies we remember.
Scroll down to the recipe box for the ingredient amounts and recipe instructions.
Ingredients in a small batch of Peanut Butter Blossoms cookies:
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- peanut butter
- an egg yolk
- baking soda
- baking powder
- Hershey’s milk chocolate kisses, unwrapped
- Begin by mixing together all of the ingredients, except for the chocolate candy in a medium sized bowl.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar and place 2-inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and immediately place 1 unwrapped chocolate candy in the center of each cookie.
Tips For Making The Best Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
- Although milk chocolate kisses are traditionally used in this peanut butter kiss cookie recipe, experiment with different mini candies. I love adding mini peanut butter cups. You might like to try Rolo candies, heart shaped chocolates for Valentine’s Day, or any of the festive Hershey’s kisses such as peppermint and pumpkin spice.
- Roll the cookie dough in colored sugar for a more festive appearance.
- Be careful not crowd the cookies on the cookie sheet. As they bake, the cookies will spread out and you don’t want them to stick together.
- You can use natural peanut butter in this recipe, just be sure to stir the peanut butter if the oil has separated in the jar. Using other nut butters may alter the taste and texture of the cookies.
How To Store Peanut Butter Blossoms
This small batch recipe will yield 6 cookies. After you have baked them, store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
Can I Make Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies Ahead Of Time?
Yes! You can make a batch of the cookie dough and store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days in an airtight container. Bake the cookies when you are ready.
What To Do With The Leftover Egg White
You will only need to use an egg yolk in this cookie recipe.
You might like to consider refrigerating the egg white and using it in scrambled eggs or in any of these easy recipes:
Other Peanut Butter Recipes
Other Small Batch Cookie Recipes
If you would like additional information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Peanut Butter Blossoms Recipe (Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 Hershey's Kisses unwrapped
- Heat oven to 375° F (190° C).
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of the granulated sugar, brown sugar, peanut butter, butter, and the egg yolk with an electric mixer.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and baking powder to the bowl and mix until dough forms.
- Pour remaining tablespoon of sugar in a separate small bowl and set aside.Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in the sugar and place 2-inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove cookie sheet from the oven and immediately press 1 chocolate candy into the center of each cookie.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.