Satisfy a cupcake craving with this perfect vanilla cupcake recipe that will give you 2 vanilla cupcakes! These homemade cupcakes have a lovely melt-in-your-mouth texture and are topped with a rich, indulgent buttercream frosting. One bowl and no fancy equipment needed. Can be made in a toaster oven or conventional oven. Recipe video below.
When you’re cooking for one, the thought of making vanilla cupcakes from scratch might not seem like a great idea.
Since most cupcake recipes yield at least a dozen cupcakes, you might find yourself with way too many leftovers which can mean stale cupcakes after day two.
Well, I’m thrilled to share this vanilla cupcake recipe with you. It’s a recipe for just two vanilla cupcakes.
Small Batch Vanilla Cupcakes
This cupcake recipe is a wonderful small batch recipe that would be perfect for anyone cooking for one. It can also be a special date-night dessert or a recipe that kids can handle on their own with minor supervision.
These cupcakes are some of the best-tasting cupcakes I’ve had. They’ve got a spongy golden top and a delicate and tender crumb. The frosting is made quickly and easily with powdered sugar, softened butter, vanilla, and cream.
What Equipment Do I Need?
One thing I love about this homemade vanilla cupcake recipe is that I don’t need to bring out my big mixer. One bowl and a spoon are all you need to mix the ingredients together.
I use a small 6-cup muffin pan but you could use a 12-cup if necessary.
Don’t have a muffin pan? No worries, use two oven-safe ramekins instead. Just place the cupcake liners inside the ramekins so that the cupcakes don’t spread in the oven.
These two cupcakes can be baked in a conventional oven or in a toaster oven.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full instructions.
- egg white
- vanilla extract
- self-rising flour (see recipe notes below)
- heavy cream
How To Make Two Vanilla Cupcakes
- Heat the oven and line either the cupcake pan with two cupcake liners or line 2 ramekins.
- Mix together melted butter, sugar, an egg white and vanilla. Then, add in self-rising flour (see below) and cream.
- Pour the cupcake batter into the cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes.
How to Make Self-Rising Flour
If you don’t have self-rising flour in your pantry, you can easily make your own.
This easy recipe for self rising flour will yield about a cup. Use the amount you need for this recipe and store the rest in a zip-top bag or other airtight container.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix these ingredients together and store to use when needed.
How To Make Cupcake Frosting
To make a rich, creamy frosting for the vanilla cupcakes you will need:
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
- optional candy sprinkles
Mix together the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, and cream in a small bowl and spread over the cooled cupcakes.
What To Do With The Egg Yolk
Since these vanilla cupcakes are made with only an egg white, save the egg yolk and consider using it in one of these lovely recipes…
- Lemon Blueberry Muffin For One
- Maple Walnut Muffin For One
- Small Batch Strawberry White Chocolate Scones
- Butterscotch Pudding For One
- DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookies
Can These Cupcakes Be Made In A Toaster Oven?
Yes! Use the same temperature settings on the toaster oven as you would for a conventional oven.
A toaster oven will likely preheat faster and cooking times can be shorter, so set a kitchen timer and check the cupcakes at 15 minutes to see if they are done. You can do this by inserting a toothpick or the tip of a sharp knife in the center of the cupcakes. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
You will also need to use a muffin or cupcake pan suitable for toaster oven use. I use a Nordic Ware compact muffin pan. This type of pan will be a smaller than your standard-sized cupcake pan. Just divide the batter between three muffin or cupcake cups instead of two.
How To Store Cupcakes
These vanilla cupcakes can be baked 1 day in advance before frosting. Store in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil at room temperature.
If you like this vanilla cupcake recipe, you might also like to try our chocolate cupcake recipe which makes just two cupcakes too!
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons self-rising flour (see recipe notes)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar , sifted
- 2 tablespoons butter , softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon heavy cream
- candied sprinkles , optional
How To Video
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place cupcake liners in the cupcake pans or inside two oven-safe ramekins.
- Whisk together the butter, sugar, egg white, and the vanilla in a medium-sized bowl until smooth.
- Stir in the self-rising flour.
- Add the cream and stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes completely on a wire rack.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING
- Mix together the powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, and cream by hand with a spoon or with an electric beater until smooth.
- Spread frosting over cupcakes and add sprinkles, if using.
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.