You’ll love this easy and delicious small batch chocolate cupcake recipe! These cupcakes are light and tender and topped with a rich, luscious chocolate buttercream frosting. This wonderful recipe will yield TWO of the best tasting chocolate cupcakes.
So many of our One Dish Kitchen readers love our vanilla cupcakes recipe, and rightfully so! That perfect little cupcake recipe yields just two cupcakes which is wonderful for those cooking for one. Today, we’re bringing you a chocolate cupcakes recipe for all of our chocolate fans, and we know you’ll love this cupcake recipe just as much as our vanilla version.
The Best Chocolate Cupcakes
I firmly believe that this is the best chocolate cupcake recipe out there. These cupcakes are unbelievably moist and have a perfect texture. They’re topped with a decadent chocolate buttercream that you might find hard to resist eating out of the bowl with a spoon.
With this very small batch cupcake recipe, you’re not left with a dozen or more cupcakes to deal with. Just two – and since these cupcakes are so easy to make, you can bake a small batch whenever the craving hits.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full instructions.
For this small batch chocolate cupcake recipe, you will need:
- an egg white
- vanilla extract
- self-rising flour (see how to make your own below)
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- heavy cream (also called double cream)
Pro Tip: If you don’t have self rising flour in your pantry, you can easily make your own. This easy recipe will yield about 1 cup of flour. Mix together 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Store the remainder in an airtight container until you’re ready to use again.
How To Make Chocolate Cupcakes
- Heat the oven and line either a cupcake pan with two cupcake liners or line 2 ramekins.
- Mix together melted butter, sugar, egg white and vanilla. Then, add in flour, cocoa powder, and cream.
- Pour the cupcake batter into the cupcake liners and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- After the cupcakes have cooled, frost them if you’d like.
What To Do With The Leftover Egg Yolk
Since you will be using just one egg white in this cupcake recipe. Cover and refrigerate the egg yolk. Consider adding it to scrambled eggs or use it in any of these recipes:
How To Make Chocolate Cupcake Frosting
This is my favorite chocolate frosting recipe, it’s easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. It’s perfect for mini cakes, cookies, these cupcakes, and more!
- powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
- heavy cream
Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together, then mix in the remaining frosting ingredients in a small bowl and spread over the cooled cupcakes.
Can I Use A Different Frosting?
What Kind Of Cocoa Powders Should I Use?
I often use Hershey’s, Ghirardelli’s, or Nestlé Unsweetened Cocoa Powder because these brands are most widely available.
Can These Chocolate Cupcakes Be Made In A Toaster Oven?
Yes! Use the same temperature settings on the toaster oven as you would for a conventional oven.
A toaster oven will likely preheat faster and cooking times can be shorter, so set a kitchen timer and check the cupcakes at 15 minutes to see if they are done. You can do this by inserting a toothpick or the tip of a sharp knife in the center of the cupcakes. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.
You will also need to use a muffin or cupcake pan suitable for toaster oven use. I use a compact muffin pan. This type of pan will be a smaller than your standard-sized cupcake pan.
How To Store Chocolate Cupcakes
These chocolate cupcakes can be baked 1 day in advance before frosting. Store in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil at room temperature.
Frosted cupcakes can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Other Single Serving and Small Batch Chocolate Recipes
- Two Ingredient Chocolate Cake For One
- Mini Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Triple Chocolate Scones
- Chocolate Rice Pudding
- Chocolate Cookies
For examples of the dishes we use, please visit our Store page.
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons self-rising flour (see recipe notes)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Place 2 cupcake liners in the cupcake pans or inside two oven-safe ramekins.
- Whisk together the butter, sugar, egg white, and the vanilla in a medium-sized bowl until smooth.
- Stir in self-rising flour and cocoa powder.
- Add cream and stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes completely on a wire rack.
TO MAKE THE FROSTING
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder together in a small bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix with either a whisk or a hand mixer until smooth. Spread over the cooled cupcakes. If frosting is too thin add a teaspoon of extra powdered sugar and if frosting is too thick, add an additional teaspoon of cream.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.