Tres leches cake made with limoncello! A unique twist on a traditional tres leches cake recipe. A light and airy mini sponge cake made with a mixture of sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, cream, and a splash of sweet limoncello.
A tres leche cake recipe is one of my favorite kinds of cake recipes.
What Is A Tres Leches Cake?
A tres leches cake is a light, vanilla tasting sponge cake that is baked and then soaked in three kinds of milk; evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and heavy cream.
In the case of this limoncello tres leches cake, the limoncello is poured over the top of the cake along with the three milks.
The cake acts like a sponge and soaks up the milk/limoncello mixture. The result is not a soggy cake but a cake that takes on a more pudding-like consistency.
Authentic Tres Leches Cake
Tres leches cakes are popular throughout Latin America. They are usually eaten straight out of the refrigerator and are a cool and refreshing dessert.
I’ve taken my favorite tres leches cake recipe and scaled down the ingredients so that the cake will serve a small number of people instead of the traditional 8 to 10.
I decided to add a touch sweet limoncello liqueur to the cake batter for a change and I also added a splash to the milk mixture that is poured over the cake.
How To Make A Tres Leches Cake
This mini limoncello tres leches cake is the perfect size for a few people. I use a small 8 x 6-inch baking dish or you could use two 5-inch baking dishes.
Alternatively, you could use several small ramekins and divide the batter between them.
After you decide on the baking dishes you’re going to use, lightly butter them and set them aside.
Ingredients In A Tres Leches Cake
For this cake recipe, you will need:
- baking powder
- sweetened condensed milk
- evaporated milk
- powdered sugar
To Make A Tres Leches Cake
Whisk together flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set the mixture aside.
Separate the eggs. Put the egg yolks in a bowl and the egg whites in another bowl. Whisk the egg whites until foamy, then add in the sugar.
Whisk in the egg yolks, then add the flour mixture, the milk, and the limoncello and stir to combine.
Pour the batter into the baking dish(s) you are using and bake the cake for about 25 minutes.
While the cake is baking, whisk together the cream, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and limoncello. Set aside until you are ready to use it.
After the cake bakes, let it cool slightly. Poke holes all over the top of the cake and pour the milk/limoncello mixture over the top.
Refrigerate the cake for at least 3 hours. Then, using a hand mixer whip the cream, powdered sugar, and cinnamon together until soft peaks form. Spread over the cake.
Pro Tip: Be sure to let the syrup milk mixture soak into the cake for several hours or preferably overnight so that the flavors develop and the cake absorbs all of the delicious creamy goodness. The longer the tres leches cake sits, the better it gets!
TIP: Limoncello can be found in most stores that sell alcohol. I store limoncello in my freezer so it’s ice cold when I want to sip on a glass outside in the warm weather.
What To Do With The Leftover Ingredients
Since this is a mini cake, you will not use the entire cans of evaporated milk or sweetened condensed milk.
Leftover evaporated milk can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week. You can freeze it in an ice cube tray and take out a cube when you are ready to use it.
Stir evaporated milk in coffee or tea or use it in sauces as a substitute for cream.
Consider using the remainder of the sweetened condensed milk in any of these single serving recipes:
If you would like more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Tres Leches Cake Recipe With Limoncello
- non-stick cooking spray for the cake pan
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs , separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1/2 can)
- 6 ounces evaporated milk (1/2 can)
- 1 cup heavy cream , divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons limoncello divided
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×6-inch baking pan (or pan of similar size) with cooking spray
- Mix the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites until frothy. With the mixer running, gradually add the sugar and beat to soft peaks.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk in 2 additions. Add 1 tablespoon of limoncello and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the lightly greased pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center, comes out clean, 25- 30 minutes. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool slightly on a baking rack for about 10 minutes.
- Pierce the top of the cake all over with the tines of a fork or a thick skewer.
- Mix the sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup of the heavy cream, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the limoncello in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture over the cake while warm. Cover and refrigerate a least 3 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to serve the cake, combine the remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream, powdered sugar, and the cinnamon in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream until soft peaks form. Spread the whipped cream onto top of cake and sprinkle with additional ground cinnamon.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
We’re new and we’re growing. Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.