This incredible Banana Upside Down Cake is the perfect dessert to make if you have 1 banana to use. Caramelized bananas top a buttery, easy to make “quarter” pound cake. This mini upside down cake is the perfect size for one or two people. If you like bananas, you will absolutely LOVE this cake!
This Caramelized Banana Upside Down Cake is the perfect dessert to make when you have just one banana. It’s a mini cake and it’s the ideal size for one or two people.
Banana Upside Down Cake
Melted butter and brown sugar make the perfect topping for this delightful cake.
Together with sliced bananas they caramelize and create a buttery, sweet top layer to a perfectly tender “quarter” pound cake.
Upside Down Cake
When I was brainstorming new small batch recipe ideas a few weeks ago, pound cake came to mind. I love a good pound cake – it’s the perfect cake to enjoy simply, perhaps with strawberries and whipped cream.
I played around with the ingredient ratios and after a few attempts, I created a rich and buttery mini pound cake.
This pound cake is a delightful cake to enjoy on it’s own but because it tastes so delicious, I decided to use the mini cake recipe as the base in this banana upside down cake.
I used a 7 inch round springform pan to bake this mini cake and found it to be the perfect size. You can use any non-springform baking dish of a similar size.
How To Make A Banana Upside Down Cake
Here’s how I put this banana upside down cake together…
Mix together brown sugar and melted butter in a small bowl.
Spread the sugar mixture on the bottom of your baking pan.
Top with slices of one banana.
Pour cake batter over the bananas and bake.
Remove the cake from the oven to cool and if using a springform pan, release the attachment and flip onto your cake plate. If using a mini cake pan, place a plate over the top and invert.
If you have one or two overripe bananas, you might like to use them in any of these easy banana recipes:
- Small Batch Banana Muffins (2 bananas)
- Grilled Pound Cake with Limoncello Bananas (1 banana)
- Banana Bread For One (1 banana)
- Banana Oat Pecan Muffins (2-3 bananas)
Other Single Serving Cake Recipes
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake For One
- Mini King Cake
- 2-Ingredient Chocolate Cake For One
- Coffee Cake For One
- Flourless Chocolate Cake For One
- No Bake Cheesecake For One
Best Dish To Use In A Mini Banana Upside Down Cake
For this Mini Caramelized Banana Upside Down Cake, I use a 7-inch Nordic Ware pan. You can also use a similar sized baking dish. For more information on the dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Banana Upside Down Cake Recipe
FOR THE SWEET BANANA BASE
- 3 tablespoons butter , melted
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 banana , sliced
FOR THE CAKE
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup milk
FOR THE SWEET BANANA BASE
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).Grease a 7-inch springform pan with butter. Place pan on top of a baking sheet. Mix the melted butter and brown sugar together and spread it on the bottom of the pan. Top with sliced bananas.
FOR THE CAKE
- In a small bowl, beat butter and sugar until well mixed.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to butter/sugar mixture and mix to combine.
- Stir in the milk.
- Spread the batter evenly over the top of the bananas, and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until top is golden.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting over a plate.
- Best if served warm.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
Click HERE to sign up to receive the latest recipes in your inbox!