Small Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe made from scratch. This classic dessert features a tender, buttery mini cake with a perfectly caramelized pineapple slice and a cherry. This single serving treat is baked in a ramekin and is the perfect dessert for one.
A pineapple upside down cake is such a stunning dessert and it’s amazing just how simple it is to bake.
This cake takes me down memory lane, it’s a retro recipe and some may even call it vintage. It was my mother’s signature dessert that she would bring to parties and potlucks and it was loved by all.
Upside Down Cake
This cake starts with a rich, butter cake which when removed from the pan and flipped upside down reveals a pretty pineapple and cherry studded top.
Upside down cakes have been around for years. In fact, the idea of cooking a cake upside down has been around for centuries when cakes were often made in cast iron skillets. The fruit and sugar was placed on the bottom of the skillet and a simple cake batter was poured over the top. The cake was cooked over a fire and when flipped onto a plate revealed the pretty fruit and sugar topping.
These cakes are made very similarly today. This mini pineapple upside down cake is reminiscent of the cakes my mother made. The best part – it’s the perfect size for one person!
This cake takes just 30 minutes to bake and is so incredibly delicious!
What Is A Pineapple Upside Down Cake?
If you’re familiar with the Mini Banana Upside Down Cake from our site, you may already know the answer. This particular cake is one of our most popular recipes, and with good reason. Upside down cakes are pretty and easy to make and best of all, you can use just about any fruit to make one.
This cake is a wonderful dessert. It’s basically a buttery cake that gets baked on top of pineapple slices and cherries in a butter and sugar mixture.
Bake the cake in the oven and then flip it over and the topping becomes the pineapples and cherries. The melted butter mixed with brown sugar caramelizes and forms a glorious “crust” around the pineapple. It’s a spectacular tasting dessert.
In this easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake For One, we’ve scaled down the ingredients so that it becomes the absolute perfect size for one person.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full instructions.
- brown sugar
- a pineapple slice (see below for ideas for using up the rest of the pineapple slices from a can of sliced pineapples)
- a cherry
- an egg yolk
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
How To Make A Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Melt butter in a bowl, then stir in brown sugar.
- Pour the butter/sugar mixture into a buttered ramekin; top with 1 pineapple slice and put a cherry in the center.
- Mix together the ingredients for the cake batter.
- Pour batter over the pineapple slice and cherry. Put ramekin in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
As you can see, this cake is so easy to make. The caramel and pineapple are decadent and delicious.
The next time you’re in the mood for something sweet, pull out this wonderful retro recipe – it’s a true classic!
What To Do With The Leftover Pineapple Slices
You will only need one pineapple slice for this recipe so be sure to refrigerate the rest of the slices from the can. Canned pineapple can be added to smoothies, used in overnight oats, or enjoyed with a dollop of whipped cream.
You might also like to consider using the pineapple slices in either of these mini cake recipes:
What To Do With The Leftover Egg White
You will use one egg yolk in this cake recipe. Save the egg white and keep it in the refrigerator. Add it to scrambled eggs, or use it in either of these great small batch recipes:
Other Single Serving and Mini Cake Recipes
- Icebox Cake
- King Cake
- 2-Ingredient Chocolate Cake
- Coffee Cake
- Carrot Cake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Spice Cake
- “Quarter” Pound Cake
For this recipe I used a 10-ounce ramekin as shown in the photos. An 8.5-ounce ramekin will also work well. Examples of the baking dishes we suggest can be found on our Bakeware page.
For best results, use a dish of similar size.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1 tablespoon butter , melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pineapple slice
- 1 maraschino cherry
For The Cake Batter
- 1 tablespoon butter , very soft
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk , any percentage, soy, or almond milk.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Butter the sides of a 10-ounce ramekin.
- In a small bowl, mix together melted butter and brown sugar. Pour into ramekin and spread so the entire bottom of the ramekin is covered.
- Top with the pineapple slice and put the cherry in the center hole.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together softened butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add the egg yolk and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt and stir until just combined.
- Stir in milk.
- Pour batter into the ramekin and use the back of a spoon to smooth the batter over the pineapple. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place on a cooling rack to cool, 15 minutes. Place a plate over the top of the ramekin and invert. Cake should come right out onto the plate.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.