A mini carrot cake topped with a rich cream cheese frosting. Everything you love about a carrot cake but in a smaller size.
In my family, the cake that is always requested for birthday celebrations or other events is a carrot cake. I’m totally fine with that request because I happen to love carrot cake too.
A few months ago, for my son’s 20th birthday, I made a “non-traditional style” carrot cake for him. I say it wasn’t traditional because I baked it in a very small bundt pan instead of making a layer cake.
I also made an orange glaze to drizzle over the top of the cake before I frosted it. This was a completely random idea, it was inspired by a lemon cake I recently baked which used a similar glaze and I loved how moist it made the cake.
The Best Carrot Cake Recipe
This cinnamon-scented carrot cake is incredibly moist and filled with tiny bits of chopped pecans and specs of carrots.
I use a 6-cup Nordic Ware bundt cake pan and have also used a 1.5-quart baking pan to bake this cake. The pan measures 8 x 6 x 1.75 in.
Although this is not a single serving cake recipe, it is substantially smaller than a traditional cake. You could serve two or more people and not have many slices leftover.
If you are making this for only you, the frosted carrot cake can be stored in the refrigerator. It will keep well for up to 5 days when wrapped with plastic wrap or stored in an airtight container.
Ingredients In A Mini Carrot Cake
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- canola oil or vegetable oil
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- ground ginger
- orange juice
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- cream cheese
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
How To Make Carrot Cake
Here’s how the carrot cake comes together:
- Start out by mixing together sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs in a mixer.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and ground ginger in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients
- Add grated carrots and chopped pecans.
- Pour into a greased small baking pan or small 6-cup sized cake pan.
- Bake the cake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by combining sugar and orange juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Spoon the glaze over the cake.
- After the cake has cooled completely, make the frosting by combining softened butter, softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread over the cake.
This carrot cake can serve more than one person if you’re only looking for a slice or two each. If you’re baking this for yourself to enjoy, it will keep fresh in the refrigerator for a week.
Can I Make Carrot Cake Cupcakes With This Recipe?
Yes! Just divide the batter evenly into a cupcake pan and bake as directed in the recipe.
Best Dish Sizes To Use For A Mini Cake
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
Examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen can be found at our Store page.
Other Mini Cake Recipes
If you like this mini carrot cake recipe, you might also like these mini cake recipes:
- Mini Banana Upside Down Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake For One
- Mini King Cake
- Mini Low Carb Lemon Cake
- Pineapple Oat Cake
- Flourless Mini Chocolate Cake
- Mini Pound Cake
Carrot Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil , or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup pecans , chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 4 tablespoons butter , softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 8 ounces powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3 teaspoons cream (if desired to achieve a thinner consistency for the bundt cake)
- TO MAKE THE CAKE
- Heat oven to 350 degree F (177 degrees C).
- Grease or spray pan with butter or Bakers Joy and set aside.
- Mix together the sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Stir in the carrots and pecans.
- Pour into the baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool.
- TO MAKE THE GLAZE
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar with 1/4 cup orange juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Spoon the orange syrup over the cake.
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and blend. (If you’re frosting a cake made in a baking pan, the consistency of the frosting should be perfect. However, if you want to frost a bundt cake, you may want the frosting to be lighter so that it will “drip” down the sides of the cake. If this is the case, add the extra teaspoons of cream to the frosting until you reach the desired consistency).
- Spread on cooled carrot cake.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionists’ advice.
Connecting with One Dish Kitchen
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to sign up to receive new single serving recipes in your inbox!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.