This Curried Carrot Soup is amazing! Perfectly spiced and so easy to make. It’s a hearty, flavorful, healthy single serving meal.
Click HERE to sign up to receive the latest recipes in your inbox!
A few weeks ago, I found a Curried Carrot Soup recipe in the New York Times. This easy soup recipe really caught my eye, not only because of the gorgeous orange color but also because of the incredibly healthy ingredient list.
The original recipe, written by Mark Bittman is for a larger serving of carrot soup and was the perfect size for my large family. As we were enjoying the soup for dinner, I couldn’t help but think a scaled down version of carrot soup would make a wonderful single serving recipe.
How To Make Carrot Soup
Chopped carrots, onions and fresh ginger cook in a small bit of butter on the stove. Then the addition of ground turmeric, ground cumin, coriander and a pinch of chili powder make the vegetables come alive.
I added chicken broth but vegetable broth could easily be substituted to make this a vegetarian carrot soup.
To finish, I added some coconut milk and flavored the soup with salt and pepper.
Such simple ingredients which yield amazing flavors.
This curried carrot soup is warm, slightly spicy and completely comforting.
What To Serve With Curried Carrot Soup
For this Carrot Soup recipe, I use a 2-quart saucepan. For best results, use a pan of similar size.
If you would like additional information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Curried Carrot Soup Recipe For One
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 pound carrots , peeled and chopped (about 1 1/4 cup chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup chicken broth , (use vegetable broth if you would like this recipe to be vegetarian)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- cilantro leaves , chopped & optional for garnish
- Melt the butter in a 2-quart saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions, carrots, spices and a pinch of salt. Stir and cook until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, there should be enough to cover the vegetables. Add a little more broth, if necessary. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and continue cooking until the carrots are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup in the pot. Or, puree soup in a regular blender, then return soup to the pot.
- Stir in coconut milk and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionists’ advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. This means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!