This Curried Carrot Soup is amazing! Perfectly spiced and so easy to make. It’s a hearty, flavorful, healthy single serving meal.
This creamy carrot soup is not only beautiful in color but so incredibly easy to make. It’s got a surprisingly simple ingredient list and cooks in about 30 minutes.
Carrots are the star, of course, but you’ll also find that the ginger truly shines. It’s a flavorful soup and good for you too.
The soup is made with chicken broth but if you’re looking for a vegetarian version, vegetable broth can be substituted with ease.
This carrot soup recipe calls for coconut milk so it’s dairy free but if you’ve got heavy cream (double cream), it makes a lovely substitute too.
Ingredients In Carrot Soup
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- chopped onions
- ground cumin
- ground turmeric
- ground coriander
- chili powder
- chicken broth
- canned coconut milk
- cilantro leaves (optional)
How To Make Carrot Soup
- Chopped carrots, onions and fresh ginger cook in a small bit of butter on the stove. Add turmeric, ground cumin, coriander and a pinch of chili powder to make the vegetables really come alive.
- I added chicken broth but vegetable broth could easily be substituted to make this a vegetarian carrot soup.
- To finish, I added some coconut milk and flavored the soup with salt and pepper.
What To Do With Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this curried carrot soup recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes.
Coconut milk: Chickpea Curry
What To Serve With Curried Carrot Soup
For this carrot soup recipe, I use a 2-quart saucepan. For best results, use a pan of similar size.
If you would like additional information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Carrot Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 pound carrots , peeled and chopped (about 1 1/4 cup chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup chicken broth , (use vegetable broth if you would like this recipe to be vegetarian)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- cilantro leaves , chopped & optional for garnish
- Melt the butter in a 2-quart saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions, carrots, spices and a pinch of salt. Stir and cook until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, there should be enough to cover the vegetables. Add a little more broth, if necessary. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and continue cooking until the carrots are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender puree the soup in the pot. Or, puree soup in a regular blender, then return soup to the pot.
- Stir in coconut milk and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionists’ advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. This means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!