Easy to make BBQ Chicken Legs baked on a bed of perfectly seasoned roasted carrots, onions and garlic. A one pan meal perfect for those cooking for one.
There is something so simple about this oven roasted BBQ chicken legs recipe. It’s a simple meal and it’s comforting too.
Every time I bake a this chicken for dinner, the aroma coming from my kitchen gets me excited about dinnertime.
Sometimes I have such grand plans in mind when creating recipes. This chicken recipe began as a full-fledged BBQ chicken dinner with homemade BBQ sauce and all that goes along with it.
As I worked through the recipe and tested it a second time, I noticed my ingredient list getting longer and longer. Even though I was hoping to create an easy chicken recipe, it was turning out to be a little more labor intensive than I wanted it to be.
Don’t get me wrong, there is a time and a place for a glorious from scratch BBQ chicken recipe but I wasn’t feeling it here.
I’ll pull that BBQ recipe out soon for you and share it sometime, I promise.
For now, I’ve got a heavenly…and simple…Oven Roasted BBQ Chicken Legs recipe that I know you’ll love.
I use three chicken legs (also called chicken drumsticks) or feel free to use two if they’re large ones.
Baked Chicken Legs
For this easy baked chicken recipe, toss the chicken legs with olive oil, salt, pepper and BBQ sauce (I used store-bought).
Place the chicken legs on a bed of sliced carrots, onions and whole garlic cloves that have been tossed with olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, and smoked paprika.
Tip: When roasting vegetables, add in whole garlic cloves. If you’ve ever tasted roasted garlic you know how wonderful it is. Roasted garlic is buttery and much milder than raw garlic.
The chicken drumsticks roast alongside the carrots for about 40 minutes and will fill your kitchen with the most incredible aroma.
The chicken meat is so juicy and tender, it seems to fall off the bone and the carrots are perfectly cooked and seasoned well.
What To Serve With Baked Chicken Legs
You might like to serve any one of these single serving side dish recipes with your chicken legs:
For information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
BBQ Chicken Drumsticks Recipe (Chicken Legs)
- 2 cups sliced carrots , cut diagonally (about 1)
- 1/2 small onion , rough chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt , divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons BBQ Sauce
- 3 chicken drumsticks
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place the cut carrots, onions and garlic in a small baking dish. Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and smoked paprika and toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the BBQ Sauce, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a small bowl and pour BBQ Sauce mixture over the chicken. Using your fingers, make sure the sauce mixture coats each chicken drumstick.
- Lay the chicken on top of the carrots in the baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cover baking dish with foil. Let chicken rest for 10 minutes.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionists’ advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Click HERE to sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox!