Mini Cornbread Recipe - Easy recipe for a small batch of sweet, buttery cornbread. Baked in a mini cast iron skillet or oven safe dish.
Cornbread is a delicious side dish that goes so well with many meals. Unfortunately, most cornbread recipes yield a large batch which is usually too much for one or two people to consume at one sitting.
Leftover cornbread is never as tasty as it is when it's warm. Day old cornbread tends to be dry and crumbly.
Today, I'm sharing our single serving recipe. This cornbread comes together quickly and is absolutely delicious.
An easy cornbread recipe has been requested by a few of you and I'm happy to say that after many tweaks and tests it is finally ready to be shared.
I love cornbread, and I know you do too!
I completely understand not wanting to make a batch because let's face it, cornbread never tastes as good the day after it's baked.
Fresh, hot out of the oven, sweet cornbread is divine - especially with butter melting in the center and drizzling down the sides - am I right?
This is the best cornbread recipe and I guarantee you'll want to eat it all at one sitting.
How To Make Cornbread
I bake it in a small 6.5-inch cast iron skillet which is the perfect size for this small batch recipe.
Ingredients In This Southern Cornbread Recipe
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
For this easy cornbread recipe, you will need:
- baking powder
- Put the skillet in the oven to heat while the oven is preheating. As the oven heats, mix together the ingredients in a small bowl.
- After the oven has heated, carefully remove the skillet from the oven and add a half tablespoon of butter to the pan. Give the pan a swirl so that the melted butter coats the bottom and sides of the skillet. Then pour in the cornbread batter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes and cool for just a bit before eating.
Add a little butter to the top and enjoy while still warm.
If you don't have a small skillet, a 5-inch baking dish will work great too.
What To Serve With Cornbread
This sweet cornbread is super easy to make and you might find yourself making it often. Here are a few popular single serving main dish recipes that would go great with cornbread on the side:
Other Small Batch Bread Recipes
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
Examples of the dishes we use can be found on our Store page.
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
How To Video
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the melted butter, milk, and egg until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the cornmeal mixture to the milk mixture and stir just until the flour is moistened.
- Pour batter into small greased pan and spread evenly. *(See Notes)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.