A homemade spin on the iconic fast food Shamrock Shake made with vanilla ice cream, milk, mint extract, and green food coloring. So easy to make!
It’s that time of the year again – Shamrock Shake season! I confess that although I’m not a huge fan of fast food, I will happily make the trek to my local McDonald’s for one of their famous Shamrock Shakes. Creamy and minty, these shakes are synonymous with St. Patrick’s Day and are only sold in the spring.
McDonald’s recently announced that they’re celebrating the 50th anniversary of the legendary Shamrock Shake. In honor of this historic event, we’re sharing our copycat Shamrock Shake recipe.
This homemade version is made with just four simple ingredients, so skip the drive through and make your own milkshake at home.
What Is A Shamrock Shake?
The Shamrock Shake was created in 1967 by the owner of a McDonald’s franchise in Connecticut in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. In 1970, McDonald’s starting selling the drink nationwide. Their shake was an instant success.
Ingredients In A Shamrock Shake
This is not McDonald’s Shamrock Shake recipe. According to McDonald’s website, they use vanilla soft-serve ice cream, “Shamrock Syrup”, and whipped cream.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- vanilla ice cream
- green food coloring
- mint extract
How To Make A Copycat Shamrock Shake
- Place ice cream in a blender.
- Add milk.
- Add extract and food coloring and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a tall glass
- Top with whipped cream, a maraschino cherry, and green sprinkles for a festive appearance.
Pro Tip: This recipe can be doubled, tripled, and quadrupled if you’re serving more than one.
Tips For Making A Shamrock Shake
- For a super creamy shake, use the richest ice cream you can find.
- You can substitute lower fat milk or almond milk in this recipe. The shake won’t be as rich and creamy but it will still be delicious.
- Be sure to use mint extract for a true authentic Shamrock Shake flavor. Using peppermint extract will make the shake taste more like a candy cane.
- A little extract goes a long way. We recommend starting out with 1/2 teaspoon of mint extract and add more, a drop or two at a time if you would like a more minty flavor.
- Add crushed Oreo cookies to the ingredients in your blender and create a copycat Shamrock McFlurry.
Can You Add Alcohol?
Yes, you might like to add Creme De Menthe or Baileys Irish Cream for a boozy milkshake.
Do I Have To Use Ice Cream?
This recipe is made with full fat ice cream and as with milkshakes, using ice cream is pretty essential. You could go for a reduced fat ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt instead.
Other St. Patrick’s Day Inspired Recipes
Ways To Use Up Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this recipe, you might consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes:
Mint extract: Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Shamrock Shake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 10 drops green food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract , feel free to add a drop or two more if you prefer a more minty flavor. Just be careful, a little goes a long way.
- whipped cream
- a maraschino cherry
- green sprinkles
- Add the the ice cream, milk, food coloring, and extract to a blender and blend on high speed until smooth.
- Top with whipped cream, a maraschino cherry, and green sprinkles if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen! Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.