This buttery, berry topped coffee cake recipe is ideal for times when you’d like a little something sweet. Easy to make and the perfect size for one person. Perfect for breakfast or dessert and will surely satisfy a sweet tooth.
This coffee cake may not look like a traditional coffee cake. There’s no cinnamon streusel topping and no drizzle of cream but it’s my version of one of my favorite coffee cake recipes, in a single serving size.
I have a coffee cake recipe that I use when I want to make a large coffee cake to serve friends and family when they visit. This breakfast cake has a buttery taste and a tender crumb and the recipe is always asked for by friends. Instead of a streusel topping, which you normally see on coffee cakes, this one is studded with berries. Red raspberries or strawberries, big blueberries and sometimes slices of apples. Inspired by this large coffee cake, I decided to create a single serving berry topped coffee cake.
This mini coffee cake is perfect to enjoy with your morning coffee or tea and also ideal for an afternoon sweet treat.
This simple coffee cake bakes in either a 6-ounce or an 8-ounce ramekin or other similar sized baking dish.
Why Is It Called A Coffee Cake?
I suppose just about any cake can be called a coffee cake. Coffee cake is a name for a moist, tender-crumbed sweet cake that pairs well with a cup of coffee. Some coffee cakes are covered with streusel and others filled with fruit or berries.
A coffee cake is quick to whip up and a delight to eat.
Easy Coffee Cake Recipe Ideas
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Coffee Cake Recipe For One
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/8 cup blueberries and/or raspberries , for topping
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, stir the butter and sugar together until well blended.
- Add in the egg yolk and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Pour into butter/egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Stir in the milk.
- Top with berries.
- Pour batter into a small greased 6 or 8-ounce ramekin or baking dish of a similar size.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top is golden. Cake is cooked through if a sharp knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen! Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.