Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe For One – A decadent, gluten-free, single serving flourless chocolate cake that’s easy to make and will definitely satisfy a chocolate craving.
One of my daughter’s favorite cakes is a flourless chocolate cake and she requests it on her birthday every single year.
It’s a cake that’s so simple to make and is so rich and decadent. A flourless chocolate cake has the texture of a fudgy brownie with a perfectly crisp topping.
This mini cake recipe is perfect if you’re cooking for one. It’s a scaled down version of the flourless chocolate cake I’ve been making for years and if you’re a chocolate cake lover, I think you’ll love it too.
What Is A Flourless Chocolate Cake?
A flourless chocolate cake is a rich chocolate cake made without flour or leavening. It’s ideal for those following a gluten free diet.
How To Make A Flourless Chocolate Cake
This flourless chocolate cake has a wonderfully rich chocolate flavor. Imagine eating a brownie – tender and luscious on the inside with a delicate crust on top.
For this easy recipe, I used a Le Creuset 5-inch square dish.
Ingredients in a Flourless Chocolate Cake
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- chocolate chips
- canola oil
- cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
See below for ways to use leftover ingredients.
To begin, melt 1/2 cup of chocolate chips, 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons of canola oil in a large heatproof bowl.
Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and heat until melted.
In a small bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 teaspoons cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1 large egg.
In a separate small bowl, beat 1 egg white and 2 tablespoons of sugar together until firm peaks form.
Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes.
How To Store A Flourless Chocolate Cake
I like to keep this cake in the refrigerator, covered. As the cake cools, it becomes more solid and more fudgy.
How Long Will A Flourless Chocolate Cake Last?
This is a small cake so you’ll most likely want to eat it up. If you would like to save some for later, the cake keeps well in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Can I Freeze A Flourless Chocolate Cake?
Yes! Be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place in a freezer safe container or zip topped freezer bag. When you are ready to enjoy it, move it to the refrigerator to thaw overnight. It keeps well in the freezer for up to up to 3 months.
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients leftover from this flourless chocolate cake recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes:
- Chocolate chips: Chocolate Chip Muffin, Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookie, 2 Ingredient Chocolate Mousse.
- The extra egg yolk: Coconut Cream Pie, Snickerdoodles, Irish Soda Bread
- Cocoa powder: Chocolate Scones, Hot Chocolate, 2 Chocolate Cupcakes
Other Mini Cake Recipes
If you like this mini chocolate cake recipe, you might also like to try one of these wonderful mini cake recipes:
- Mini Caramelized Banana Upside Down Cake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake For One
- Mini King Cake
- Coffee Cake For One
- Mini Carrot Cake
- Quarter Pound Cake
- Mini Tres Leches Cake
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (plus more for dusting the pan and 1/2 teaspoon for topping)
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Lightly butter baking dish and dust with sugar, tapping out any excess.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 large egg, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt. Gradually whisk into melted chocolate. Set aside.
- In another small bowl beat the egg white and 2 tablespoons of the sugar together until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle top with 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cake will begin to crack on top.
- Transfer baking dish to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Connecting with One Dish Kitchen
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to sign up to receive new single serving recipes in your inbox!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.