Homemade Butterscotch Pudding For One – rich, creamy and wonderfully indulgent! This nostalgic single serving butterscotch pudding is so easy to make and serves up the perfect amount for anyone cooking for one.
There’s something about the flavor of butterscotch that I absolutely love. The buttery, sweet taste of butterscotch pudding brings back memories from my childhood.
Homemade Butterscotch Pudding
Butterscotch pudding is dessert we don’t always think of making at first. When we think puddings, we often choose chocolate and vanilla. But butterscotch is my absolute favorite and you wouldn’t believe just how easy it is to make.
Butterscotch is basically brown sugar and butter cooked together. These two ingredients along with milk, cream, eggs and a few pantry staples all come together beautifully and the result is a rich, creamy, velvety smooth dessert.
Ingredients In Butterscotch Pudding
Making butterscotch pudding will give you an arm workout too, you will whisk and whisk but it will be so worth it.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and recipe instructions.
For this recipe, you will need:
- an egg yolk
- heavy cream (also called double cream)
- vanilla extract
Pro Tip: One thing to note is that you’ll need to be careful when heating sugar and butter, use a deep saucepan and go slowly. Melted sugar is hot so please be careful.
What To Do With A Leftover Egg White
You will only use an egg yolk in this butterscotch pudding recipe. You might consider using the egg white in any of these recipes:
Other Single Serving Pudding Recipes
Best Pan To Use For Making Butterscotch Pudding
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Butterscotch Pudding Recipe
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream , optional
- Whisk the cornstarch with the salt in a small bowl. Slowly add the milk and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Whisk in the egg yolk and set the bowl aside.
- Melt the butter in a deep saucepan set over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, whisk in the brown sugar.
- The brown sugar will look grainy at first, but whisk vigorously until the brown sugar completely melts and becomes a liquid.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Slowly whisk in the cream. (The sugar and cream will steam but continue to whisk. The sugar will clump together, this is normal). Return the pan to the stove, reduce the heat to low and continue to whisk until the sugar has melted and is smooth.
- Very slowly add most of the hot butterscotch liquid to the bowl with the cornstarch and milk and whisk. (You want to add the hot butterscotch slowly because you don’t want the heat from the butterscotch to “cook” the eggs.)
- Return the tempered cornstarch slurry to the pan and cook. Raise the heat to medium-high and whisk vigorously until it comes to a boil.
- Continue whisking and cooking for an additional 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Carefully spoon into a bowl or a glass and chill for at least an hour.
- Top with whipped cream, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community! to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!