Chicken Fricassee Recipe For One – An elegant and easy to make one pot meal. Tender chicken served with a rich, creamy sauce served over rice. Hearty and delicious single serving comfort food.
Chicken Fricassee is a meal that looks and sounds gourmet but is so very easy to make. Similar to a chicken stew, this dish is made with chicken that is simmered in a creamy sauce.
What Is Chicken Fricassee?
I first discovered chicken fricassee in Julia Child’s Mastering The Art Of French Cooking. Julia Child calls Chicken Fricassee a cross between a stew and a sauté.
With a stew, the meat is cooked in a liquid (usually a broth). In a sauté, no liquid is used to cook the meat.
With Chicken Fricassee, the chicken is cooked first in butter, then the sauce is made in the same pan with onions and garlic. The chicken with its sauce is usually poured over rice or pasta.
Ingredients In Chicken Fricassee
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- chicken breast
- black pepper
- olive oil
- chopped onions
- chicken broth
- bay leaf
- dried tarragon
How To Make Chicken Fricassee
- Cut the chicken breast into 1-inch cubes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a skillet, add the chicken to the pan and sauté until brown. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover while you make the sauce.
- Add olive oil to the pan and cook the chopped onions and garlic for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the chicken broth and the bay leaf and bring to a simmer.
- Add in the chicken and stir in the cream tarragon and peas. Simmer for 10 minutes and serve over cooked rice.
While this chicken recipe is simple in both technique and ingredients, it is not simple in terms of flavor.
What To Serve With Chicken Fricassee
You might like to enjoy any one of these single serving side dish recipes with your chicken dinner:
What To Do With Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this Chicken Fricassee recipe, you might consider using them in any of these single serving recipes:
Other Easy Single Serving Chicken Recipes
If you have one chicken breast or thigh, consider adding any or all of these chicken recipes to your meal plan:
What To Drink With Chicken Fricassee
If you’d like to enjoy a glass of wine with this dish, a Chardonnay would be wonderful and if you prefer reds, a Pinot Noir would be lovely.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Chicken Fricassee Recipe
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions , finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 cup peas , frozen and thawed
- Rinse and pat chicken breast dry with paper towels. Cut the chicken breast into 1-inch cubes. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with the salt and pepper. Mix well so that the salt and pepper are evenly distributed.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over moderately high heat, add the chicken to the pan and saute until brown, about 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover.
- Add the oil to the pan and cook the onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and the bay leaf to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken and stir in the cream, tarragon and peas. Reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.