Cook perfect rice every time with this simple oven baked rice recipe. Made with just a small amount of rice, water, butter, and salt. So easy to make! Baking is the secret to making perfect rice.
Baked rice is a foolproof method for making fluffy, perfectly cooked rice. There are many ways to cook rice but my favorite method is by cooking it in the oven. It's an easy hands-off approach. You just combine the ingredients together in a small baking dish, set the oven, and let the rice cook.
This method works with any kind of rice you are cooking - long grain, short grain, white or brown. When rice is cooked in the oven, the heat is distributed more evenly. This means that the rice cooks more evenly in the pan.
When you're cooking for one, many times you want one serving of rice - not an entire pot. That's what makes this recipe perfect. You make just the amount you need.
How to Cook Rice for One Person
- Place ¼ cup of white rice (not instant rice) in a small baking dish or ramekin.
- Pour in ¾ cups hot water, a pinch of salt and ¼ tablespoon of butter.
- Cover the ramekin with foil and place on a small baking sheet and bake for 40- 45 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
The baked rice cooks perfectly every time.
When you cook rice in an oven, you free up your stove to prepare other parts of your meal and there's no need to keep checking to see if the rice is cooked. You pop it in the oven and forget about it.
What To Serve With Rice
- Chickpea Curry For One
- Baked Pork Chop For One
- Chicken Caprese For One
- Red Beans and Rice For One
- Pan Fried Okra and Tomatoes
Best Dish To Use For Baked Rice
For this baked rice recipe, I use a 5-inch baking dish. For best results, use a dish of similar size.
If you would like additional information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- ¼ cup long grain rice
- ¾ cup hot water
- ¼ tablespoon salted butter
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Pour the rice in an oven safe ramekin or small baking dish. Add the water, butter and salt.
- Cover ramekin with aluminum foil and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.