Learn how to cook brown rice with this very simple single serving recipe. Baking brown rice in the oven is the best way to cook brown rice so it comes out perfect every time.
Many years ago I discovered how to cook brown rice in the oven and it’s been my go-to method for making rice ever since.
Since stumbling upon Alton Brown’s recipe, I find no reason to cook brown rice on the stovetop anymore. Baking brown rice in the oven guarantees the rice is perfectly cooked every time.
How To Cook Brown Rice For One
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Pour 1/3 cup of medium-grain or long-grain brown rice into a small baking dish.
- Pour 2/3 cup of boiling water to the dish.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Give it a little stir, cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Why cook brown rice in the oven?
- Baking rice in the oven gives the rice even heat as it cooks. Unlike rice cooked on the stove, where the only heat comes from the bottom, the heat surrounds the pan when it’s baked in the oven. This means the rice cooks evenly and will come out perfect and not mushy.
- When you bake brown rice in the oven, it frees up your stove.
- Cooking brown rice in the oven leaves you free to prepare the other parts of your meal. You don’t need to “keep watch” over the pan. Just put the rice in the oven and focus on other things.
Recipes Using Baked Brown Rice
- Chicken With Mustard Tarragon Sauce For One
- Baked Stuffed Fish Fillet For One
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken For One
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf For One
- Single-Serving Sheet Pan Chicken
How To “Jazz Up” Baked Brown Rice
Instead of using water, use chicken or vegetable broth. You might need to reduce the salt or leave it out altogether, depending on how salty the broth is.
Add different herbs and black pepper to the rice. Also try a Cajun spice blend or other favorite spice blend recipe, you might also need to reduce or leave out the salt from the recipe if the seasoning already contains salt.
Try chopped parsley and a squeeze of half a lemon or lime juice and chopped cilantro for a Mexican side.
Other Single Serving Rice Recipes
When I bake brown rice, I use a 5-inch baking dish. For best results, use a dish of similar size. For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Baked Brown Rice Recipe
- 1/3 cup medium-grain or long-grain brown rice
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the rice in a small 5-inch baking dish or dish of similar size.
- Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan or tea kettle.
- Pour boiling water over the rice and add the butter and salt.
- Gently stir to combine and cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the cover and fluff the rice with a fork.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.