This is the best Tuna Casserole recipe! This wonderful tuna casserole is made with a rich and creamy homemade sauce, noodles, and just 1 can of tuna. It’s the ultimate single serving comfort food!
When I was growing up, tuna casserole was a meal my mom made often. It was simple, inexpensive, and it was a meal she could put together quickly.
My mom made her tuna casserole with canned cream of mushroom soup, a few of cans of tuna, and noodles.
My favorite part of the casserole was the buttery bread crumb topping which I would pick off and eat first.
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Flash forward about 25 years and I have to say my tuna casseroles have come a long way.
Forget the canned soup, I make my own sauce which is a buttery blend of onions, cream, milk, nutmeg, garlic powder, and thyme.
The sauce takes just minutes to make and it tastes incredible. So worth the extra few minutes of stirring on the stove. It’s creamy, savory, and cheesy.
This mini tuna casserole has all the flavors I’ve always loved in a tuna casserole, including the crisp buttery topping.
Ingredients In Tuna Casserole
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- elbow macaroni
- chopped onions
- all-purpose flour
- black pepper
- dried thyme
- garlic powder
- heavy cream
- lemon juice
- cheddar cheese
- parmesan cheese
- canned tuna
- bread crumbs
See ways to use leftover ingredients below.
How To Make Tuna Casserole For One
- Make the sauce.
- Pour the sauce into a large bowl and stir in a can of drained tuna and 1 cup of cooked noodles.
- Spoon the tuna and noodle mixture into a small baking dish such as a ramekin, top it with bread crumbs and melted butter, then bake it for 20 minutes.
What To Serve With Tuna Casserole
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this tuna casserole recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes:
I use a 2-cup ramekin or a 5-inch oven safe baking dish for this tuna casserole recipe. For best results, use a baking dish of a similar size.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
Examples of the dishes I use at One Dish Kitchen can be found on our Store page.
Tuna Casserole Recipe for One
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni (1 cup cooked)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup onions , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese , grated
- 5 ounce can tuna , drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter , melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Spray the inside of an oven safe ramekin or small baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan set to medium heat. Add the onions and stir until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, nutmeg, thyme, and garlic powder to the pot and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk, cream, and lemon juice and simmer sauce, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheeses.
- Put the tuna in a large bowl, stir in the sauce and the cooked pasta. Mix well.
- Pour into the prepared ramekin.
- In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs and the melted butter. Sprinkle over top of tuna casserole.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden.
The information shown is an estimate from an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!