This is the easiest Butter Chicken recipe you’ll find. Incredible flavors, quick and easy to make, this classic Indian dish will surely become a favorite.
Butter Chicken is one of my favorite Indian dishes. This easy Butter Chicken recipe features tender cubes of chicken cooked in a mildly spiced curry. It’s a surprisingly easy dish to make and once you see just how quickly it all comes together, you just might find yourself skipping the takeout and making it in the comfort of your own home.
For this butter chicken recipe, I use 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast. Chop the chicken into cubes and marinate the chicken in a mixture of sour cream (or Greek yogurt), lemon juice and a wonderful blend of turmeric, garam masala and ground cumin.
While the chicken pieces are marinating in the wonderfully spiced marinade, make the sauce. Chopped onions and garlic cook with cumin, ginger, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Finally, stir in a cup of tomato sauce and while the sauce simmers, cook the chicken.
The cooked chicken is added to the sauce along with about 1/4 cup of heavy cream.
This butter chicken is delightfully rich, creamy and so much healthier than takeout. Serve with rice.
Other Indian Recipes
Notes: Garam Masala can be found in many supermarkets in the spice aisle. You can also make your own using this Garam Masala recipe.
To bake a single serving of rice (the perfect amount for this recipe), you might like to use the recipe found HERE.
When making this Butter Chicken For One, I use a 10-inch skillet. For best results, use a pan of a similar size. For more information on the baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
Examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Butter Chicken Recipe For One
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast , cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sour cream , (or Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric
- 1/2 tablespoon Garam masala *see notes
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
FOR THE BUTTER CHICKEN
- 2 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cooked rice
TO MAKE THE MARINADE
- Mix together the sour cream, lemon juice, turmeric, Garam masala and cumin together in a medium-sized bowl. Add the chicken pieces and stir so that all of the chicken pieces are completely covered. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
TO MAKE THE BUTTER CHICKEN
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions to the pan and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon and salt and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer.
- While the sauce is simmering, melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in another medium-sized skillet set to medium-high heat.
- Add the pieces of chicken to the pan and cook for 5 minutes per side until browned.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add to the sauce. Simmer another 5-10 minutes. Stir in the cream and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Serve with rice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!