Chicken and rice recipe for one! A flavorful dish made with chicken, onions and turmeric infused rice. Use a rotisserie chicken to make this dish in minutes!
A few years ago, I found a chicken and rice recipe inside an issue of Food and Wine Magazine. It was a great recipe that was easy to make and full of flavors that everyone in my family enjoyed.
Flash forward a few years and I now find myself creating recipes to serve one person.
In going through my recipes files, I came across this family favorite recipe and decided to scale down the ingredients to make an quick, easy and equally delicious, chicken and rice recipe for one.
How To Make Chicken and Rice
This single serving recipe calls for one cup of diced cooked chicken which equals about one chicken breast. To make this recipe even simpler, you could use an already cooked rotisserie chicken that you can often find at the grocery store.
We call the rice golden rice because of the color. A half of a cup of rice is cooked in a small pot along with a minced clove of garlic and turmeric.
Turmeric is spice that’s a deep yellow color. It’s a great spice to keep on hand because it’s not only flavorful but it’s also good for you. Turmeric is a major ingredient in many Indian recipes and curries and is used to make American mustard yellow.
As the rice is sautéed in the oil, garlic, and turmeric, the white rice beautifully changes to a deep yellow color. The rice is then cooked in a small amount of chicken broth for about 10 minutes.
Toss the chicken in a bowl with thinly sliced onions, basil, and a tablespoon of lemon juice.
Serve it alongside the rice and combine a little soy sauce with a drop or two of hot sauce to use for dipping.
Other Single Serving Chicken Recipes
If you would like additional information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 small onion , thinly sliced
- 4 leaves basil , torn
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce , optional
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce , or use more if you like it very spicy (optional)
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the turmeric and uncooked rice and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, salt, and pepper to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Place the cooked chicken, sliced onions and basil in a bowl and mix in the lemon juice.
- Spoon in the rice.
- To make a dipping sauce, combine the soy sauce and the hot sauce in a small bowl and serve on the side.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.