Easy meat sauce recipe that can be used in everyday recipes. This made-from-scratch spaghetti meat sauce cooks in just 30 minutes! Perfect for lasagna, spaghetti squash, or with your favorite pasta. Cooks in 30 minutes!
This wonderful meat sauce is a reminder that good food doesn’t have to be complicated or require a long list of fancy ingredients. In fact, simple is often best and in just 30 minutes, you can have a lovely meal ready to enjoy.
You simply can’t compare homemade meat sauce to the jars of sauce you purchase from the store. The taste doesn’t even come close, and the quality of ingredients you use in your own will always be far superior to commercially made sauces.
Sure, store bought meat sauce is convenient and from time to time, I’ll pick up a jar or two to use in a recipe but those times are rare. This simple meat sauce recipe is just too easy not to use and I almost always have these ingredients already in my kitchen – and you may too.
How To Use Homemade Meat Sauce
I use this homemade sauce in many ways, here are a few of my favorites:
- Use it in Baked Ziti.
- Make an easy Lasagna or a Zucchini Lasagna with this easy sauce recipe.
- I’m a huge fan of traditional spaghetti and meat sauce. Toss the sauce with your favorite pasta, spaghetti squash, or buttered noodles.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- olive oil
- chopped onions
- ground beef
- canned crushed tomatoes
- dried or fresh basil and oregano
- salt and black pepper
How To Make Meat Sauce
- Soften vegetables: Heat the olive oil in a medium-sized pan and add in the onions and garlic. Cook until onions become soft, about 3 minutes.
- Cook ground beef: Add the ground beef to the pan and cook, stirring until meat is no longer pink. I like to use ground beef with a lower fat content like 93% or 96%. You can also use ground turkey, ground chicken, or even ground pork.
- Add remaining ingredients: Stir in the tomatoes, herbs, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes. I use canned crushed tomatoes for convenience.
- Serve: Make a simple spaghetti with meat sauce or use any other favorite pasta shape. Also consider using this sauce in other recipes as shown above.
What Is The Difference Between Meat Sauce and Bolognese Sauce?
Bolognese is a meat-based sauce that originated in Bologna, Italy. I have a recipe in our cookbook for Spaghetti Bolognese and in that recipe I use both ground beef and ground Italian sausage, as well as carrots.
In the much simpler meat sauce recipe featured here, we’re sharing a shortcut version or what I sometimes call, my “lazy version” and it’s fabulous! This simple meat sauce is very rich in tomato flavor and has a short cooking time.
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Without Meat
This sauce is not just for meat eaters, you can easily make spaghetti sauce without meat. Use either a vegetarian meat replacement such as Impossible Meat, tempeh, tofu, or even mushrooms. Use a little more olive oil and proceed with the recipe as written.
Other Meat Sauce Variations
With this super easy meat sauce recipe, you never need to purchase another jarred sauce. This basic recipe is easily customizable, consider adding…
- Chopped green peppers, zucchini, and/or carrots: Cook them with the onions until they soften.
- Mushrooms: Add these along with the onions.
- Seasonings: You can add other seasonings like red pepper flakes for a spicier taste or parsley.
- Add a touch of honey: Honey or sugar cuts the acidity of the sauce. Taste the sauce after it has cooked, if you feel it tastes too acidic, add a tiny bit of sweetener. I prefer using honey and I recommend using only about 1/4 to 1/2 of a teaspoon of honey, if using.
Doubling The Recipe
Want extras for the next day? Just double the ingredients in the recipe and cook as directed.
Storing Meat Sauce
Homemade meat sauce will keep well in the refrigerator for about a week if it is covered. Just reheat on the stove.
You might also like to try these flavor-packed small batch sauce recipes:
Other Easy Pasta Recipes
- This Baked Pasta with Vegetables is made with roasted vegetables and plenty of cheese.
- Pasta Carbonara, a simple pasta dish loaded with bacon and Parmesan cheese.
- Quick and easy Pasta with Vodka Sauce made with onions, garlic, tomatoes, a splash of vodka and a touch of cream.
- Hugely popular Spinach and Orzo Salad made with delicate orzo pasta mixed with creamy feta cheese, toasted nuts, chopped red onions, sun-dried tomatoes and Kalamata olives.
Single Serving Ground Beef Recipes
If you have any ground beef left over from this meat sauce recipe, you might like to consider using it in any of these ground beef recipes:
For this meat sauce recipe, I use a 10-inch skillet which you can find on our store page. For best results, use a pan of similar size. If you would like additional information on the dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes we use, please visit our Store page.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic , peeled and minced
- 4 ounces lean ground beef
- 8 ounces canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, heat oil 30 seconds. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions become very soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up any large lumps, until meat is no longer pink, about 8 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
- Taste, and add additional salt if necessary. Pour into a jar or serve with pasta.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.