Tender and juicy oven baked mini meatloaf is topped with a sweet and tangy glaze. It's easy to make and filled with flavor. Best of all, it's the perfect amount for one!
This classic meatloaf recipe is the absolute best one you'll find. Filled with flavor, this meatloaf for one is so easy to prepare. If you're cooking for just you, I think you'll find this to be a good amount for one person. You may even find yourself with a very small amount of leftovers to enjoy the next day, especially if you serve a side dish along with it.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- olive oil
- chopped onions
- dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- ground beef
- Worcestershire sauce
- breadcrumbs (homemade or store bought)
See below for ways to use leftover ingredients.
Tips For Making The Best Meatloaf
Meatloaf might just be one of the very best comfort foods. It calls for humble ingredients and the process is simple. Be sure to follow our tips for making a really great meatloaf:
- Meatloaf can turn out dry if you use a super-lean meat, like ground chicken or ground turkey. If you use a very lean meat, consider blending it with ground pork which has a higher fat content or a 80% ground beef. I use between 85-90% lean ground beef in my meatloaf recipe.
Pro Tip: The numbers on a package of ground beef at the grocery store, like 80/20 or 90/10 refer to the ratio of lean meat to fat. When you see 80/20, that means the meat is 80 percent lean meat and 20 percent fat.
- Be sure to cook the vegetables before adding them to the ground meat. It might be tempting to just toss the onions, garlic and spices into the meatloaf mixture - but don't. Take a few minutes and sauté the vegetables, they will add more flavor and moisture to the meat.
- Leave a little room in the baking dish or pan when baking the meatloaf. I use a 5-inch baking dish or one that is slightly larger. You could even use a small sheet pan. Giving the meatloaf some space helps the edges caramelize nicely.
- Don't forget the glaze. I like to use a combination of ketchup and molasses for my meatloaf glaze. I love the sweet and tart flavor. For a sweeter sauce, feel free to add a bit more molasses. If you prefer a more tangy flavor, simply reduce the amount of molasses. Barbecue sauce also makes a great meatloaf topping, feel free to use your favorite sauce instead.
- Let the meatloaf rest after taking it out of the oven. Tent it with a sheet of foil to keep the meatloaf hot before slicing. This helps the loaf set up for easier slicing and locks in the delicious juices.
How To Make Meatloaf
See below for complete recipe instructions.
If you've been subjected to a dry, tasteless meatloaf in the past, it's time to revisit this classic comfort food dish. Follow these easy steps for making the best tasting, tender meatloaf.
- Season the onions and garlic with thyme, salt, and pepper and cook them in a small skillet until the vegetables are soft.
- Place the ground meat in a medium sized mixing bowl and pour in the cooked vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, the egg, and the breadcrumbs; mix until the ingredients are fully combined.
- Place the meat into a small baking dish and shape the meat into an oval.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) oven for 30 minutes.
Making The Sauce
After 30 minutes, remove the meatloaf from the oven and whisk together the ketchup and molasses. Spoon over the top of the meatloaf and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
After baking, remove the meatloaf from the oven and cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil to allow the meatloaf to rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this mini meatloaf recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes:
- Onions: French Onion Soup, Baked Stuffed Fish, Spicy Peas with Mint
- Garlic: Lemon and Garlic Chicken, Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Chicken Margherita
- Dried thyme: Seafood Gumbo, Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice, Skillet Ratatouille
- Ground beef: Swedish Meatballs, Goulash, Taco Salad
- Worcestershire sauce: Crawfish Etouffee, Beef Stroganoff, Irish Stew
- Breadcrumbs: Turkey Meatballs, Baked Chicken Tenders, Tuna Casserole
- Eggs: Cheesy Baked Eggs, Crustless Quiche Lorraine, Pasta Carbonara
- Ketchup: Sesame Chicken, Bacon Cheeseburger Mini Meatloaf, Juicy Lucy
- Molasses: Ginger Cookies, Sloppy Joe, Gingerbread
What To Serve With Meatloaf
- Mashed Potatoes For One
- Scalloped Potatoes For One
- Macaroni and Cheese For One
- Rice Pilaf For One
- Twice Baked Potato
- Cornbread For One
- Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Carrots For One
Best Dish To Use
In the pictures shown, we use a 5-inch square baking dish. You can use any size dish that comfortably holds the meatloaf.
If you would like additional information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
For The Meatloaf Glaze
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
How To Video
- Heat oven to 350° F (177°C).
- Heat oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the chopped garlic, dried thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally for an additional minute. Remove skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Place the ground beef in a medium-sized bowl. Pour the seasoned vegetables over the meat. Add in the Worcestershire sauce, the egg and the breadcrumbs. Using a large spoon, mix the meat and all of the ingredients together until fully combined. Shape into an oval and transfer to a lightly greased small baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and whisk together the ketchup and molasses in a small bowl. Spoon over the top of the meatloaf and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- After removing the meatloaf from the oven, cover with aluminum foil or a plate and let the meatloaf rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.