Wonderful Beef Stroganoff Recipe For One – Tender beef cooked in a rich, creamy, flavorful sauce served over buttered noodles. Easy to make and made without cream of mushroom soup.
I think beef stroganoff is one of my favorite comfort foods. How can anyone resist tender cuts of beef simmering in a creamy, made-from-scratch sauce along with sautéed onions, garlic, and mushrooms? As if this isn’t enough to get your mouth watering, I’ll continue by mentioning that it’s served over a bed of buttery noodles.
Beef stroganoff was a popular dish when I was growing up. My mother made it often using either slices of beef or ground meat.
The beef stroganoff of my childhood wasn’t particularly exciting but it’s such a classic recipe, I thought would be wonderful to recreate it and make beef stroganoff a dish to really get excited about.
How To Make Beef Stroganoff
My mother used canned soup in her beef stroganoff and that might have been the biggest reason I wasn’t a huge fan of the dish.
For this easy version, I decided to make a creamy sauce by melting butter in a skillet and then adding in chopped onions.
After the onions soften slightly, add in the garlic and the mushrooms. When the vegetables have softened, add in a little white wine to deglaze the pan.
Pour in a slurry of beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and flour and stir for a bit.
The cooked beef is added in at the very end along with a little bit of plain yogurt.
Beef stroganoff is a meal where the ingredients can easily be substituted.
For example, while this beef stroganoff is made with sliced beef, consider using 1/2 cup of ground beef instead.
If you aren’t a fan of mushrooms, leave them out altogether and if you want to make this a meatless meal, double the mushrooms and leave out the beef.
You can also use yogurt in place of sour cream.
What To Serve With Beef Stroganoff
The traditional accompaniment is noodles but you could also serve beef stroganoff with rice or polenta.
For a low carb alternative, use a cauliflower mash.
You might also like to include any of these wonderful single serving side dish recipes:
Other Single Serving Beef Recipes
I use a 10-inch skillet in this beef stroganoff recipe. For best results, use a pan of a similar size.
If you would like information on the baking dishes I use, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes we use, please visit our Store page.
Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces beef sirloin steak , thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (could also use sour cream)
- 1 cup uncooked wide egg noodles
How To Video
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat.
- Season both sides of the beef with the salt and pepper. Add in a single layer to the pan and cook until browned. About 3 minutes per side.
- Remove beef from the pan and transfer to a large plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan and when the butter has melted, add the chopped onions. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and mushrooms to the pan and cook an additional 5-7 minutes until mushrooms are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the white wine and cook about 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and flour. Pour into the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in yogurt or sour cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in a medium-sized pot of boiling water until tender about 8 minutes. Drain. Transfer to a plate or bowl. Toss with 1/2 tablespoon butter. Top with beef and sauce.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using this link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!