Homemade Chicken Fajitas For One! One tender and juicy chicken breast cooked in a skillet, sliced and served with sweet onions, crisp peppers, cheese and tortillas. So easy and so delicious!
This sizzling hot chicken fajitas recipe is a great go-to recipe for a quick and easy meal. Tender cooked chicken, sweet onions, and crunchy fresh bell peppers are the main ingredients needed for this fast but flavorful dish.
Healthy Chicken Fajitas
If you’re looking for a healthy meal option, consider chicken fajitas. The chicken and vegetables by themselves are low in calories. If you’re looking for a low carb option, use low carb tortillas or skip the tortilla altogether. One of my favorite ways to eat fajitas is by using a lettuce wrap instead of a tortilla.
For another low carb option, enjoy the cooked chicken and cooked vegetables over a plate of chopped salad greens: truly spectacular!
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh (sliced)
- salt and black pepper
- sliced onions
- sliced red or green bell pepper
- 2-3 flour tortillas
Optional Fajita Toppings:
- sliced avocado
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- homemade queso
How To Make Chicken Fajitas
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Season all sides of the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and cook 6 minutes, until all pieces are cooked through. Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside.
- Add the onions and peppers to the skillet (add a little extra butter or a drizzle of olive oil to the pan if needed), and cook until the onions and peppers have softened.
- Spoon the sliced chicken into a warm tortilla and top with the vegetables. Add cheese or slices of avocado, if desired.
Pro Tip: I prefer to season the chicken minimally. You might like to add a squeeze of lime juice, a pinch of dried oregano or ground cumin, or chopped jalapeños to the chicken and/or vegetables for extra flavor.
You could also make sheet pan chicken fajitas by cooking the chicken and the vegetables all on the same pan. Our Sheet Pan Chicken and Vegetables recipe explains the cooking process perfectly.
Tips For Making The Best Chicken Fajitas
- Cook the chicken and vegetables separately.
- Use whatever combination of peppers you like. You can even add more if you prefer.
- Slice the onions and the peppers roughly the same size, this will help them cook at the same time.
- As mentioned above, you don’t need a whole lot of fancy seasonings to make this dish delicious. Season with jalapeños, lime juice, and extra garlic for lots of flavor.
- Try adding small chunks of pineapple to your fajitas for a fresh, sweet flavor.
What To Serve With Chicken Fajitas
You might like to consider serving any of these single serving side dishes with fajitas:
What To Do With Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this chicken fajita recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes.
- Chicken: Chicken Caprese, Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl, Chicken Chili
- Onions: French Onion Soup, Goulash, Mini Meatloaf
- Bell Peppers: Sausage and Peppers Sheet Pan Meal, Healthy Sloppy Joe, Shrimp Creole
- Tortillas: Baked Tortilla Chips, Fish Tacos, Shrimp Tacos, Breakfast Burritos
For this chicken fajita recipe, I use a 10-inch skillet. For best results, use a pan of similar size.
If you would like additional information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast , cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , divided
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red or green bell pepper , seeded and cut into thin strips
- 2 8-inch flour tortillas
- In a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle all sides of chicken pieces with 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Place seasoned chicken in skillet and cook 6 minutes until all pieces are completely cooked through. Transfer to a medium plate, cover, and set aside.
- Add olive oil to the skillet. Add onions, peppers, and the remaining salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes until vegetables have softened.
- Return chicken to the pan and stir until heated through, about 1 minute, then spoon mixture onto tortillas. Enjoy immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen! Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.