Chicken Chili Recipe For One – This chicken chili makes a wonderful single serving meal. Made with 1 cooked chicken breast (or 1-2 thighs), diced tomatoes, onions and red pepper combined with flavorful, aromatic spices. Cooks quickly & is the perfect amount for anyone cooking for one.
Nothing beats a big bowl of chili on a crisp, cool day. The warm spices, tender meat, and crunchy vegetables definitely do warm the body and the soul. Truth is, I believe this chicken chili should be enjoyed any time of the year!
I make chicken chili quite often because it’s a meal that comes together quickly, the flavors are incredible, and the fresh peppers and blend of spices make it absolutely delicious!
When you serve a hot and hearty bowl of chili with a single serving of cornbread, I’d say you’ve got the perfect meal.
Ingredients In Chicken Chili
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- olive oil
- chopped onion
- red pepper
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- canned diced tomatoes
- dried basil
- 1 chicken breast or thighs
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream (optional)
See below for ways to use leftover ingredients.
How To Make Chicken Chili
Pro Tip: If you want to save time, use already cooked chicken from an earlier meal or use a grocery store’s rotisserie chicken.
- This chicken chili recipe starts out by cooking chopped onions, along with a clove of garlic and a diced red pepper in a bit of olive oil and a little ground cumin and chili powder.
- When the vegetables soften, add in a can of diced tomatoes and a pinch of dried basil and cook a couple of minutes more.
- As the tomato mixture simmers, the flavors really begin to come together. After about 15 minutes, add in the cooked chopped chicken and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken chili to a bowl and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
This chicken chili recipe is a scaled-down version of the recipe I’ve made for many years when my kids were living at home.
Since it’s an easy meal to make and the flavors always incredible, I still make it often.
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this chicken chili recipe, you might consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes:
What To Serve With Chicken Chili
Many side dishes go well with chili. You might like to consider serving any of these single serving recipes:
For this chili version, I used a 10-inch skillet, for best results use a pan of similar size.
Other Chili Recipes
If you like this chicken chili recipe, you might also like these single serving chili recipes:
I use a 10-inch skillet when I make chicken chili. For best results, use a pan of similar size.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group. We’re new and we’re growing. Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen! Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
Chicken Chili Recipe For One
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1/2 small onion)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 small red pepper , cored, seeded, and large diced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 chicken breast , cooked and chopped
- shredded cheddar cheese , optional for topping
- sour cream , optional for topping
- Cook the onions in the olive oil over medium-low heat for 8-10 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the red peppers, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Cook for 1 minute
- Pour the canned diced tomatoes and dried basil into the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked, chopped chicken to the pan and simmer, uncovered another 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken chili to a bowl and top with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionists’ advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.