Quick and easy Pasta with Vodka Sauce recipe for one – A rich, creamy sauce made with onions, garlic, tomatoes, a splash of vodka and a touch of cream served over pasta. An incredibly delicious single serving meal!
Recreating my family’s favorite Pasta with Vodka Sauce recipe into a single serving recipe has been on my to-do radar for months.
Pasta with Vodka Sauce is of my family’s most requested recipes and my son who lives in Austin, Texas has been begging me to create a single serving version of it for such a long time.
Pasta with Vodka Sauce is such a simple dish to make. Many people think the vodka sauce is a challenge to make but you might be surprised at just how easy it is.
The key ingredients in vodka sauce are olive oil, onions, tomatoes, a few spices, cream and of course, vodka. All the ingredients cook together in one pan and within minutes, you’ve got a rich and creamy sauce worthy of your favorite pasta.
Cook the onions and garlic in a little olive oil in a pan until they’re soft.
Add the vodka to the onions and garlic and let everything cook for a few minutes.
Add in a cup of canned diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for a few minutes, then add in a touch of cream.
As the vodka sauce gently cooks, the cream begins to thicken the sauce.
The vodka sauce doesn’t take long to make. In the time it takes you to boil your water for the pasta, you can make the sauce.
I love using larger noodles such as pappardelle to mix with my vodka sauce but I also love using penne pasta too.
When cooking for one, 3/4 of a cup of uncooked penne or other similar shaped pasta is a good amount. When cooked, you should have about 1 1/2 cups of pasta.
If you’re using a pappardelle pasta (shown in the pictures), plan on using 2-3 nests. When you purchase a package of pappardelle at the grocery, the dried pasta is already in little circles inside the package. I call these circles, nests and I think 3 is the perfect amount for one person.
Pro Tip: Instead of buying a large bottle of vodka, I buy the smaller 50 ml “mini” bottles. With these, you’ll have just a little bit of vodka leftover to use again in this recipe or to add to a cocktail to enjoy while you are cooking.
For information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Pasta With Vodka Sauce Recipe For One
- 3/4 cup dried penne pasta (or 3 nests of Pappardelle pasta)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic , chopped
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes , with the juices
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese (plus more for topping)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add the vodka and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Stir and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the cream and stir. Continue to heat for 5 minutes without bringing sauce to a boil.
- Stir in 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese.
- Add the pasta to the pan and toss to coat.
- Transfer pasta to a plate or a bowl and top with additional parmesan cheese.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionists’ advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
We’re new and we’re growing. Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Click HERE to sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox!
Other recipes you might like…