This wonderful baked pasta recipe is made with roasted vegetables, plenty of cheese, and Marinara sauce. So easy to make and filled with flavor, this pasta dish is the perfect single serving meal.
Combine deliciously roasted vegetables with your favorite pasta and you’ve got a hearty and comforting meal. This easy to make baked pasta recipe is one for your recipe files. Filled with flavor, this baked pasta with roasted vegetables is a fabulous cheesy casserole that I know you’re going to love.
This recipe is super flexible and a great way to use up any vegetables you might have on hand. Although I used zucchini, red peppers, and onions. Eggplant, yellow or orange peppers, and summer squash would all work well here.
A few years ago, I was hosting a dinner party at my house and a few of the guests were vegetarian. I wanted to make a pasta casserole that would satisfy the vegetarians as well as the meat-lovers in the group.
I came across a recipe for Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables from Giada de Laurentiis, gave it a try and it was a huge success. From that moment on, this baked pasta recipe has been my go-to recipe for dinner parties and potlucks.
Since this baked pasta recipe has always been such a favorite, I decided to scale down the ingredients and turn it into a single serving recipe.
Pasta With Roasted Vegetables
This pasta dish couldn’t be easier to make. The chopped vegetables are roasted together on a baking sheet topped with a little bit of olive oil and seasoned with salt, pepper, and dried herbs.
After the vegetables roast, toss them in with cooked pasta, Marinara sauce, and the cheeses.
Pour the pasta with vegetables into a small baking dish and bake until the cheese melts, about 25 minutes.
Pro Tip: In addition to changing up the vegetables combinations you use, feel free to switch up the cheeses too. I absolutely love using smoked Gruyère and Fontina cheese but I also love using smoked mozzarella, sharp cheddar, and Gouda too.
This vegetarian casserole is bursting with so many different flavors. You won’t miss the meat at all.
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this pasta casserole recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving or small batch recipes.
What To Serve With Baked Pasta
You might like to enjoy any of these side dishes with your baked pasta:
Other Single Serving Pasta Recipes
Although this baked pasta recipe calls for using penne pasta, feel free to use a different pasta. I use two-thirds of a cup of uncooked penne which is about one and one-quarter cup cooked. Use the same amount of the pasta shape you choose. You might like to use the rest of the pasta in any of these pasta recipes:
For this Baked Pasta For One, I use a 5-inch baking dish which holds about 1 1/2 to 2 cups. You can also use a loaf pan or any similar smaller sized baking dish.
If you would like more information on the baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Baked Pasta Recipe
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup diced red peppers (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian herb mix or herbs de Provence
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup dried penne pasta
- 3/4 cup Marinara Sauce
- 1 1/2 ounces Fontina cheese , shredded
- 1 ounce Smoked Gruyere cheese , shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter , cut into small pieces
How To Video
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- On a baking sheet, toss the zucchini, peppers, onions and garlic with olive oil, spices, salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook for about 5-6 minutes until the pasta is al dente (firm and not too soft).Drain in a colander.
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss the drained pasta with the roasted vegetables, Marinara sauce and cheeses. Gently mix the ingredients together until all of the pasta is coated with the sauce.
- Pour the pasta into a greased 5-inch baking dish. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and butter pieces. Bake until top is golden and cheese melts, about 25 minutes.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.