Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup – this small batch recipe yields the perfect amount for anyone cooking for one. The soup is made with one chicken breast or thigh and can be ready in minutes. Full of flavor, hearty, and so comforting.
It’s soup season! Actually, in southeast Texas we’re still wearing shorts and sandals. Even so, a big bowl of chicken soup never disappoints. This Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is our most recent recipe using the Instant Pot. It’s quick to make, filled with flavor, and honestly some of the best tasting soup I’ve had in a very long time.
I have to admit that I’m a little late to the Instant Pot game. I resisted the urge to run out and buy one because I didn’t think I needed another appliance taking up space in my kitchen. After hearing so much about the Instant Pot, I finally gave in and decided to see what all the talk was about.
Now I’m hooked.
You might have noticed that we already have a single serving chicken soup recipe here at ODK and it’s a real winner!
However, it’s a soup recipe that cooks in a pot on the stove and calls for either poaching the chicken ahead of time or using leftover cooked chicken. It’s a great little recipe and one that you might like to consider using when you want to cook on the stove instead of in the Instant Pot.
This brand new chicken soup recipe is cooked entirely in the Instant Pot. It’s filled with onions and garlic, plenty of chopped celery and carrots, and is made with just one chicken breast or thigh.
It’s the perfect soup to enjoy on a cold, wintery day and ideal if you’re feeling a little under the weather.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
If you’re on the fence about buying an Instant Pot, I can tell you I’m having fun learning how to use it and I think you will too.
If you’re cooking for one, I suggest using the 3-quart Instant Pot. It’s a great size for smaller households.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Scroll down to the recipe box for ingredient amounts and complete recipe instructions
- olive oil
- chopped onions
- a carrot
- salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- frozen green beans (may also substitute with other favorite vegetables)
- boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh
- chicken broth
- egg noodles
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe box for the complete recipe instructions
- With the Instant Pot set to the SAUTÉ setting, cook the chopped onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in oil until they soften, about 4-5 minutes.
- Press CANCEL on the Instant Pot and add the remaining ingredients, except for the noodles.
- Stir, secure the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the valve on top to SEALING.
- Press PRESSURE COOK. Set it to HIGH and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- After the pressure cook cycle is complete, follow the manufacturer’s guide for quick release and wait until the quick release cycle is complete or allow a natural pressure release (be sure to follow your manufacturer’s instructions). Be careful of any remaining steam and unlock and remove the lid.
- Press SAUTÉ again. When the soup begins to boil, add the noodles to the pot and cook until al dente, 4-5 minutes.
- Shred the chicken with two forks.
- Ladle the soup into a bowl and enjoy.
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this chicken noodle soup recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes:
- Onions: French Onion Soup, Chicken Fajitas, Stuffed Fish Fillet
- Carrots: Roasted Carrots, BBQ Chicken Legs, Carrot Soup
- Celery: Seafood Gumbo, Potato Salad, Tomato Sauce
- Chicken breast or thighs: Chicken Margherita, Chicken Fricassee, Chicken with Mustard Sauce
- Chicken broth: Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl, Chicken Piccata,
- Frozen vegetables: Chicken Pot Pie, Minestrone Soup, Beef Stew
- Pasta: Beef Stroganoff, Swedish Meatballs, Alfredo Sauce
What To Serve With Chicken Noodle Soup
You might like to consider serving any of these single serving and small batch side dish recipes with a bowl of chicken soup:
- Mini Irish Soda Bread
- Cucumber Salad
- Cobb Salad
- Avocado Salad with Berries
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- French Bread
Other Soup Recipes
You might also like to try these single serving soup recipes:
- French Onion Soup
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Thai Shrimp Soup
- Carrot Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
Other Single Serving Chicken Recipes
These chicken recipes are all prepared with either one chicken breast or chicken thigh:
- Baked Chicken Caprese
- Baked Chicken Tenders
- Creamy Mustard Chicken
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Cashew Chicken
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Chicken Cacciatore
For this Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup recipe, I use a 3-quart Instant Pot. For best results, use this size Instant Pot.
If you would like additional information on the dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes we use, please visit our Store page.
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots (about 1 small carrot)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (about 1 small celery stalk)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast (or thigh)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen green beans (or use fresh)
- 1/2 cup dry egg noodles
- Remove the lid from a 3-quart Instant Pot and turn on the Sauté setting. (See your manufacturer's guide for detailed instructions on how to use your Instant Pot). Add the oil and once hot add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Season the vegetables with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are slightly softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, green beans, and chicken broth. Turn off Sauté function by pressing Cancel. Secure the lid on the Instant Pot, and turn the valve on top to Sealing. Set to Pressure Cook on High for 15 minutes.
- After the pressure cook cycle is complete the Instant Pot will beep. Use the natural release cycle to allow the cooker to cool naturally. This should take about 10 minutes. You may also follow the manufacturer's guide for quick release. When the valve drops, it is safe to open the Instant Pot. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Press the Sauté setting again. When the soup begins to boil, add the noodles to the pot and cook until al dente, 4-5 minutes.
- While the noodles are cooking, use two forks and shred the chicken into bite-size pieces.
- When the noodles are done, press Cancel on the Instant Pot. Season the soup with additional salt, if necessary. Ladle the soup in a bowl and enjoy immediately.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.