Chili Cheese Baked Potato loaded with sautéed onions and garlic, red beans, tomatoes and spices then topped with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. This easy recipe is a hearty and delicious Recipe For One!
Baked potatoes are so versatile and make a delicious meal when cooking for one. Seriously, in college I ate baked potatoes almost every night. Back then, my go-to toppings were butter and sour cream – a classic combo for baked potatoes.
These days, I prefer that my baked potatoes have a little more substance to them. More flavors, more taste, more ingredients. I also love to bake potatoes in the oven because I love how the outside gets crisp.
To start, I scrub the potato to clean it and generously rub the outside with butter. This makes the skin good and crispy. Then, prick holes in the potato with a fork all over and put it in the oven to bake.
While the potato is baking, I take out my pan and sautéed chopped onions and garlic in a little olive oil. To add a little spice, I toss in some chili powder and a pinch of salt and add 1/4 cup of red beans from a can along with some diced tomatoes.
When the potato was done, I cut a slit in top and squeezed the sides so that the potato opens up. Then, I spoon the onion/bean mixture on top.
To finish, I add shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
This folks, is one easy recipe and so good too. It’s also an example of how pantry staples already in your refrigerator can elevate a simple dish. Red beans were in my pantry but black beans would be good too. Maybe a spoon or two of salsa? Ground beef or turkey? Broccoli and cheese? They would all be fantastic.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram? We’d love to connect, drop by and say hello! If you’d like to read more from One Dish Kitchen, be sure to subscribe to never miss a post.
Chili Cheese Baked Potato loaded with sautéed onions and garlic, red beans, tomatoes and spices then topped with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- 1 russet potato , washed, patted dry, and pricked all over with a fork
- 1/4 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canned red beans , rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes , with their juices
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional for topping)
- sour cream (optional for topping)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rub the potato with the butter. Place on a baking pan and bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds.
- Add chili powder and salt; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add beans and tomatoes; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.
- Taste and season with additional salt, if necessary.
- Cut a slit in top of the potato; squeeze sides to open. Spoon bean mixture on top of potato, sprinkle with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
Other recipes you might like…