Easy Baked Potato Recipe For One – Flavorful stuffed baked potato loaded with sautéed onions and garlic, beans, tomatoes and spices then topped with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. A fantastic vegetarian meal!
Baked potatoes are so versatile and are a delicious meal when cooking for one. Seriously, in college I ate baked potatoes almost every night. This stuffed baked potato recipe is one of my favorites. Filled with protein packed beans, onions, garlic, and tomatoes – this vegetarian baked potato recipe is sure to be a favorite of yours too.
Ingredients In A Chili Baked Potato
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- 1 russet potato
- olive oil
- chopped onions
- chili powder
- red beans
- diced tomatoes
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
How To Bake A Potato
Scrub the potato to clean it and generously rub the outside with butter. This makes the skin good and crispy.
Prick holes in the potato with a fork and put the potato in the oven to bake.
While the potato is baking, sautéed chopped onions and garlic in a little olive oil in a small skillet. To add a little spice, toss in chili powder and a pinch of salt.
Next, add 1/4 cup of red beans from a can along with diced tomatoes.
When the potato is fully baked, cut a slit in the top and squeezed the sides so that the potato opens up. Then, spoon the onion/bean mixture on top.
To finish, add cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
This folks, is one easy recipe and so good too. It’s also an example of how pantry staples already in your refrigerator can elevate a simple dish.
Red beans were in my pantry but black beans would be good too. Maybe a spoon or two of salsa? Ground beef or turkey? Broccoli and cheese? They would all be fantastic.
Other Potato Recipes
For information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Baked Potato Recipe
- 1 medium russet potato washed, patted dry, and pricked all over with a fork
- 1/4 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canned red beans rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup canned diced tomatoes , with their juices
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional for topping)
- sour cream (optional for topping)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Rub the potato with the butter. Place on a baking pan and bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds.
- Add chili powder and salt; cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add beans and tomatoes; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.
- Taste and season with additional salt, if necessary.
- Cut a slit in top of the potato; squeeze sides to open. Spoon bean mixture on top of potato, sprinkle with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.