Thick cut homemade french fries recipe made with 1 russet potato and cooked in the oven. This recipe for small batch baked french fries yields the perfect amount for one person. These homemade fries are crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside and perfect for dipping in your favorite sauce.
These easy to make homemade french fries are the perfect side dish to go with meat or fish. They’re also great to eat on their own, with a drizzle of malt vinegar, or dipped in your favorite french fries dipping sauce.
These potato strips are baked, not fried. Made with a drizzle of olive oil and lightly seasoned, these thick cut oven french fries are so incredibly delicious.
This recipe for small batch french fries will serve one or two people depending on the size of the potato you use.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- russet potato
- olive oil
- black pepper
- Italian seasoning
How To Bake French Fries
- Cut a large russet potato into thick strips. You do this by first cutting the potato in half, then cut each half in half. Slice each half into 2-4 potato strips, depending on the size of your potato.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the potatoes.
- Add a pinch of salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning and mix together with your hands.
- Place the tray of potato strips into a preheated 400° F (200 ° C) oven and bake for 25 minutes.
These thick-cut oven fries are so much better than restaurant fries. I think you’ll love them too!
Best Potatoes For Oven Baked French Fries
Russet potatoes are the best potato to use for baked french fries. Their thick skins guarantee a crispy outside and the insides become fluffy when baked.
It’s important to cut the potato into similarly sized wedges for even cooking.
How To Make Fries Crispy
Make sure you use plenty of oil. The oil prevents the potatoes from sticking to the baking sheet and they also give the potato wedges crisp, caramelized edges.
Also be sure to leave space around the potatoes on the sheet. Overcrowding in the pan will cause the potatoes to steam rather than bake properly.
What To Serve With Homemade French Fries
Other Single Serving Potato Recipes
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Mashed Potatoes
- Chili Cheese Baked Potato
- Potato and Asparagus Crustless Quiche
- Hash Browns
- Twice Baked Potato
- Potato Soup
- Garlic Smashed Potatoes
If you would like more information on the baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1 large russet potato – scrubbed, rinsed, and dried
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cut the potato into thick strips. You do this by first cutting the potato in half, then cut each half in half. Slice each half into 2-4 potato strips, depending on the size of your potato. Spread out in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the potatoes.
- Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and mix together with your hands.
- Place the tray of potato strips into the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from the oven, allow to cool a bit before handling and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Join the One Dish Kitchen Community
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.