Buttery Lemon Poppy Seed Scones Recipe – these delicate lemon scones are topped with a sweet lemon glaze. This wonderful small batch recipe yields 4 perfectly sweet scones.
I first made these Small Batch Lemon Poppy Seed Scones on a dreary rainy morning. I needed a bright pick-me-up and these scones certainly did the trick.
Lemon desserts and breads seem to do that for me.
A tart burst of lemon balanced by a slightly sweet drizzle of icing – what could be better?
These buttery melt-in-your-mouth lemon poppy seed scones go so well with coffee or tea and will surely make you look forward to waking up in the morning.
I’ve got a wonderful base recipe for small batch scones.
A little flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, and milk make up this base and from here, you can really get creative.
Most recently, I used this base recipe to make a batch of Apple Cinnamon Scones with a sweet maple glaze and those scones were out of this world!
For these Lemon Poppy Seed Scones, I used plenty of lemon zest and lemon juice and of course, poppy seeds.
Being a small batch recipe, you’ll get 3 to 4 scones from this recipe. Just the right amount if you’re cooking for yourself.
This is a very easy recipe and one that I’m sure you’ll enjoy making over and over again. The scones come together quickly and bake in about 15 minutes.
After baking and after the scones have cooled a little, be sure to drizzle the tops with the lemon glaze. That gives them that little extra “yum” factor.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Click HERE to sign up to receive new single serving recipes in your inbox!
Lemon Poppy Seed Scones Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup cold butter , cut into small pieces (1/2 stick)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar , sifted
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
How To Video
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Line a baking sheet with silpat or parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar and poppy seeds.
- Using a pastry blender, a fork or your fingertips, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Pour into flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead very lightly and form a circle. (Add a little more flour to the dough if the dough becomes too sticky to handle).
- Cut the dough into 4 wedges.
- Place the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheet for a minute, then transfer onto wire rack.
TO PREPARE THE GLAZE
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, cream and lemon juice until smooth. Spoon over the tops of cooled scones.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Connecting with One Dish Kitchen
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group. We’re new and we’re growing. Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.