This Sausage Dressing recipe is the perfect recipe to use when planning your Thanksgiving meal or any meal! Soft sourdough bread is flavored with sausage, sage, onions, and toasted nuts. An incredibly flavorful side dish and the perfect amount if you’re cooking for one or two.
Here we are on Day 3 of our Thanksgiving For One series and today I’m sharing a single serving version of the Sausage and Pine Nut Dressing I make every year for my family’s Thanksgiving table.
This dressing recipe is requested year after year by everyone in our family and it’s easy to see why. Plenty of sweet Italian sausage, the crunch of toasted pine nuts and the incredible flavors from the onions, celery, and sage make this dressing recipe a real winner.
Because this is such a fantastic large batch recipe, I thought I would make a scaled down version – a single serving dressing recipe that can be enjoyed with a Thanksgiving turkey or with any other meal.
If you’re planning a Thanksgiving feast on a smaller scale, this dressing will be the perfect addition to your table.
Next to the turkey, dressing or stuffing if it’s inside the bird, is often the side dish we most look forward to. I like to think of dressing/stuffing as a savory bread pudding and it’s my favorite part of the meal.
I start by adding a carrot, celery, onions, and fresh sage to my food processor. I puree the vegetables until they are thoroughly chopped and set them aside while I brown the sausage in a skillet.
When the sausage has finished cooking, I remove it from the pan and add in the vegetable pulp. I sauté the vegetables until the water from the vegetables has evaporated and season it with a little salt and pepper.
After this, the dressing really comes together quickly. I place cubes of sourdough bread, toasted pine nuts, an egg, a little cream and some chicken broth in a large bowl. Then, I gently fold in the cooked sausage and the vegetable pulp.
I pour the dressing mixture into a 5-inch baking dish or one of similar size and bake it in the oven for 30 minutes.
This Sausage and Pine Nut Dressing is such a simple recipe and I know you won’t be disappointed. Every single bite is filled with amazing flavors!
The sausage and the vegetables can be cooked a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the dressing, if you choose.
Be sure to check out our other Thanksgiving For One recipes…
Sausage Pine Nut Dressing Recipe For One
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots (about 1 carrot)
- 1/4 cup chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces loose Italian sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts *See notes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups cubed sourdough bread
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F and butter a 5-inch baking dish.
- Place the chopped onions, carrot, celery, and fresh sage in a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped.
- Add the olive oil to a medium-sized skillet and give the skillet a little swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and place on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Return the skillet to the stove and add the vegetables. Sauté the vegetables until most of the moisture has evaporated.
- Season with salt.
- Place the vegetable pulp, the sausage, and the toasted pine nuts in a mixing bowl. Stir in the bread.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, chicken broth and cream. Pour over the dressing mix and stir until bread is entirely moistened.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Heat a pan on medium heat. Add a tiny bit of olive oil to the pan and swirl to coat bottom of pan. Add the pine nuts and stir frequently until they are golden brown.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group. We’re new and we’re growing. Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
Products used in this Sausage Pine Nut Dressing For One recipe…
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Click HERE to sign up to receive new single serving recipes in your inbox!