A hearty and soul-satisfying Thai Shrimp Soup flavored with lemongrass, ginger, and peppers and filled with mushrooms, shrimp and bok choy. This single serving soup recipe is easy to make and can be ready in minutes!
I always refer to this easy Thai Soup With Shrimp recipe as “my version” of Tom Yum Soup, and with good reason.
My husband and I love eating Tom Yum Soup and order it often when we dine out at area Thai restaurants. We enjoy it so much that I wanted to recreate a single serving version of this delicious soup at home.
A few weeks ago, on a cold and rainy afternoon, I decided to look for a good recipe for Tom Yum Soup. I found one in the New York Times and then proceeded to jot down all the ingredients needed to make the soup.
To my surprise, I couldn’t find a few of the key ingredients needed from the grocery stores in my area.
I’m sure I would have been able to find everything I needed if I visited our Asian market in downtown Houston but I didn’t want to do that. I wanted to make Tom Yum Soup that afternoon and didn’t want to drive around.
This Thai Shrimp Soup is my take on Tom Yum Soup. I’m not claiming it to be authentic but I will tell you this “recipe for one” is fabulous.
Spicy Thai Shrimp Soup
The base of this soup is lemongrass, ginger, mushrooms and Thai peppers.
Instead of using kaffir leaves, I use either spinach or bok choy.
During the last few minutes of cooking, I add in peeled, deveined shrimp to cook in the flavorful broth.
I let the soup simmer on the stove for at least 15 minutes so the flavors have the chance to come together.
Just a reminder, this is not the traditional Tom Yum Soup, but my own spicy recipe made with ingredients that are easily available.
If you are looking for a more authentic, traditional soup, be sure to check out the following recipes…
What To Serve With Thai Shrimp Soup
Other Single Serving Soup Recipes
If you like this Thai Shrimp Soup recipe, you might also like these soup recipes:
Spicy Thai Shrimp Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 small Thai chili , seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass , cut into 2-inch strips with outer layer removed.
- 1 cup baby bok choy , chopped
- 5 ounces shrimp , peeled and deveined (about 20 small-medium sized shrimp)
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup cooked thin rice noodles (I use Thai Kitchen Thin Rice Noodles)
- 1 teaspoon cilantro leaves , chopped (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onions, chili peppers and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and ginger to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth.
- Place the pieces of lemongrass on a cutting board and with the flat side of a knife, gently press down on the lemongrass to release the flavors. Add to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the bok choy and the shrimp. Simmer until the shrimp is opaque, 3-4 minutes.
- Taste and add a pinch or two of salt if necessary. Remove pot from heat and cover.
- Prepare the thin rice noodles according to package directions. The rice noodles cook very quickly.
- To serve, spoon the rice noodles into a bowl and pour the soup over the noodles. Top with chopped cilantro, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Connecting with One Dish Kitchen
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Click HERE to sign up to receive single serving recipes in your inbox!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.