This quick and easy cucumber salad is fresh, healthy, and filled with flavor. Made with thinly sliced cucumbers and onions tossed in a tangy, easy to make vinaigrette. Perfect as a single serving main dish salad or a wonderful side dish.
This delightful cucumber salad is one of my favorite salad recipes. It’s light and flavorful, easy to make, and can be made in minutes.
I’ll often enjoy this salad as my lunch but it also makes a delicious topping for chicken or fish.
This cucumber onion salad recipe yields one nice-sized serving or possibly two smaller servings. It’s a recipe that can easily be doubled or tripled if necessary.
Easy Cucumber Salad
There are two different versions of cucumber salad that you might be familiar with. One is a version made with a light vinaigrette and the other is a creamy cucumber salad version.
The recipe I’m sharing here is the lighter, non-creamy version.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1/4 of a small onion
- olive oil
- white wine vinegar or apple cider
- sugar or sugar substitute
- fresh dill
How To Make Cucumber Salad
- Thinly slice the cucumber and onion and add them to a bowl.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the vinaigrette and add it to the vegetables.
- Toss to coat and enjoy.
Even though this salad recipe doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, it certainly doesn’t mean it lacks any flavor. The dressing adds gusto to the crisp vegetables.
This cucumber salad is also very healthy. It’s not a creamy salad, it’s light and fresh. If you’re avoiding sugar, feel free to use honey or another sweetener instead.
I use sweet yellow onions in my cucumber salad but red onions also make a lovely choice.
What To Serve With Cucumber Salad
This salad is a refreshing addition to so many foods; chicken, steak, or seafood. You might consider adding it to any of these single serving recipes.
Other Single Serving Salad Recipes
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1/4 small sweet onion
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- Thinly slice the cucumber and onion and place in a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, sugar, and salt. Pour over vegetables and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle dill over the top and stir.