This fresh tasting, easy to make Lentil Avocado Salad with a light dijon vinaigrette is topped with tomatoes and avocados. It’s a wonderful meatless main salad.
Many times, the recipes I create are completely inspired by places I visit and foods I’ve eaten. This is totally the case with this flavor-packed Lentil Avocado Salad.
My husband and I were visiting the area for the week. He had a little business to attend to and I was left to my own devices, i.e shopping and exploring.
I first discovered Le Pain Quotidien a few years ago when we visited London. I loved the food, and even created a Pea, Cheddar and Crispy Pancetta Crustless Quiche based on a similar meal I enjoyed there. I thought the London location was the only one until I saw one in New York too. Needless to say, if I see a Le Pain, I know the food will be great.
This salad is a simple one. I begin with the lentils which I quickly cook on the stove in water. Lentils cook very quickly and in about 20 minutes they’re perfectly softened and cooked.
When the lentils have cooled, I drizzle a lovely vinaigrette over the top. It gives the lentils a wonderfully tangy flavor.
I top a bed of arugula with a hefty serving of the lentils, sliced avocados and cherry tomatoes.
Easy and delicious!
Fresh tasting, easy to make Lentil Avocado Salad with a light dijon vinaigrette is topped with tomatoes and avocados. It's a wonderful meatless main salad.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- pinch of salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Place the lentils and 4 cups of water in a large saucepan. Add onions, garlic, thyme and salt and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and let cool.
- TO MAKE THE DRESSING
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a small bowl and pour over cooled lentils.
- TO ASSEMBLE
- Divide the arugula between two plates.
- Top with lentils, chopped tomatoes and avocado slices.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram? We’d love to connect, drop by and say hello! If you’d like to read more from ZagLeft, be sure to subscribe to never miss a post!
As a gift to our readers, subscribers can receive our free eCookbook.
Other recipes you might like…