This is the best vegetable casserole recipe! Made with fresh vegetables and a sprinkling of cheese, this casserole bakes in just 30 minutes. It’s quick, easy, and so delicious!
This fresh and flavorful vegetable casserole is the perfect way to use the season’s freshest produce. The recipe can be easily customized so that you can use vegetables you have on hand. In this particular version, we’ve used zucchini, red pepper, onions, and broccoli – a wonderful combination!
The vegetables are tossed in olive oil, seasonings, shredded cheese and baked in the oven. Within minutes you’re able to enjoy a healthy, hearty, single serving meal.
I think you’ll find this vegetable casserole to be a little like a ratatouille and it’s a great way to use your summer bounty of produce. It’s low carb, vegetarian, and can be vegan if you use a vegan cheese or leave the cheese out altogether.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- olive oil
- red pepper
- broccoli florets
- herbs de Provence or Italian seasoning
- salt and black pepper
- monterey jack cheese
See below for ways to use any leftover ingredients.
What Is Herbs de Provence?
I love using herbs de Provence in so many recipes. It’s a wonderful spice to keep on hand and I think you will find it to be very versatile. It is a spice blend made with many spices found in the southeastern region of France. It is an essential spice found in many French and Mediterranean dishes.
This aromatic spice usually contains a combination of dried thyme, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, parsley, and lavender flowers. It’s an all-purpose seasoning that is especially delicious when used with chicken, turkey and seafood.
If you don’t have any herbs de Provence on hand, feel free to substitute Italian seasoning, dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano, or any combination of these spices in this vegetable casserole recipe.
Can You Use Frozen Vegetables?
You sure can. Frozen vegetables work great in this recipe, just be sure to thaw them first.
How To Make Vegetable Casserole
- Place the sliced vegetables in a medium-sized bowl. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and spices.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Lightly grease the bottom and sides of a small baking dish with olive oil. Pour the seasoned vegetables in the baking dish. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (177 degrees C) oven for 30 minutes.
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this vegetable casserole recipe you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving and small batch recipes:
- Zucchini: Mini Zucchini Lasagna, Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp, Vegetarian Enchiladas
- Red peppers: Chicken Chili, Cucumber Salsa, Healthy Sloppy Joe
- Onions: French Onion Soup, Rice Pilaf, Meat Sauce
- Broccoli: Broccoli Cheese Soup, Cashew Chicken, Italian Pasta Salad
- Herbs de Provence: Pasta with Roasted Vegetables, Croutons
- Monterey Jack Cheese: Enchiladas Verdes, Breakfast Casserole
Vegetable Casserole Topping
Many vegetable casseroles are made with a crusty, buttery topping. I like to keep my version low in carbs but you could absolutely make a glorious topping to add to your own casserole if you’d like.
- 3 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs and the melted butter. Sprinkle over top of vegetable casserole. Bake as directed in the recipe.
Can A Vegetable Casserole Be Made Ahead Of Time?
A simple vegetable casserole is a great recipe to prep the day before. Mix the vegetables together and toss them in the oil, spices and cheese, then refrigerate. When you’re ready to enjoy the casserole, take the pre-mixed veggies out of the oven and bake it.
What To Serve With Vegetable Casserole
Products Used In This Recipe
For this vegetable casserole, I use a 5-inch baking dish which you can find on our store page. This dish holds about 1.5 cups and has an area of 25 square inches. A 4×6-inch dish has an area of 24 square inches and will work as well. For best results, use a dish of similar size. See our FAQ page for additional information on baking dish sizes.
I also recommend investing in a small kitchen food scale. A scale is the most accurate way to measure ingredients for a recipe. Produce sizes vary so I’ve included in the recipe the number of ounces of each vegetable used. If you do not have a scale to measure, I’ve also listed the size of the vegetable used.
For examples of the dishes we use, please visit our Store page.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 small zucchini, sliced (3 ounces sliced zucchini)
- ½ small red pepper, sliced (3 ounces sliced red peppers)
- ¼ small onion, sliced (2 ounces sliced onions)
- ½ cup broccoli florets (2 ounces broccoli florets)
- ½ teaspoon herbs de Provence
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (1 ounce shredded cheese)
- Heat oven to 350° F (177° C). Spread 1 tablespoon of olive oil on the bottom of a small 5-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Place the sliced zucchini, red peppers, onions, and broccoli in a small bowl. Toss the vegetables with the remaining olive oil, the herbs de Provence, salt, and pepper. Stir in the shredded cheese.
- Pour the seasoned vegetables into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Enjoy warm.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Click HERE to sign up to receive new single serving recipes in your inbox!
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!