The best Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken recipe for one! Made with a sweet honey sesame sauce, it’s so much better than takeout and is the perfect amount if you’re cooking for one.
I have to thank my daughter encouraging me to create a single serving slow cooker sesame chicken recipe. She’s a big sesame chicken fan and requests it every time we order takeout.
I assure you, this dish is so much better than takeout! It’s super simple and incredibly delicious. Just whisk together the few ingredients for the sauce, pour it over chicken thighs or a chicken breast and cook.
Chicken Crockpot Recipes
Slow cooker chicken recipes are among the easiest recipes out there – add the ingredients and walk away.
With a slow cooker, there’s no heating up the kitchen and no fussing with stirring and mixing.
In the case of this sesame chicken recipe, just whisk together the ingredients for the sauce, pour it over boneless, skinless chicken thighs or a chicken breast and cook for 4 hours.
You’ll love the flavors in this single serving sesame chicken recipe. The chicken is fall-apart tender but the sauce totally makes the meal. It’s heavenly and you should end up with quite a bit of sauce.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs or a chicken breast
- black pepper
- soy sauce
- olive oil
- dried onions
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
Serve over rice, if desired.
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this sesame chicken recipe, you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving or small batch recipes:
- Chicken: Chicken Caprese, Chicken Fricassee, Mustard Chicken
- Honey: Honey Lemon Custard, Baked Oatmeal, Healing Turmeric Tea, Butternut Squash Soup
- Soy Sauce: Cashew Chicken, Pork Stir Fry, Fried Rice
- Ketchup: Slow Cooker Mini Meatloaf, Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Juicy Lucy
- Olive oil: Baba Ganoush, Shrimp Scampi, Avocado Toast
- Cornstarch: Vanilla Pudding, Coconut Cream Pie, Cherry Pie Filling
Other Single Serving Slow Cooker Recipes
How To Adapt Recipes To The Size Of Your Slow Cooker
For the slow cooker recipes featured on this website, I suggest using a 1.5 to 3-quart slow cooker.
If you have a large slow cooker, that’s fine too. You can easily convert your large slow cooker into a small slow cooker by placing an oven safe bowl inside of the bowl of your slow cooker. This absolutely works and I’ve done it many times.
Rules to follow…
- Be sure to use an oven safe bowl inside the big bowl of the slow cooker.
- Slow cookers work best when they are about two-thirds to three-quarters full. When the bowl isn’t full enough, the food will cook faster and possibly burn. If the bowl is too full, the food may need to be cooked longer than the suggested cooking times.
- Always cook with the lid on your crockpot and try to avoid opening the lid while cooking.
For this slow cooker sesame chicken recipe, I use a 1.5 quart capacity slow cooker. For best results, please use a pan of similar size.
If you would like more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
Examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen can be found at our Store page.
What To Serve With Sesame Chicken
You might like to consider serving any of these single serving side dish recipes with your sesame chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch black pepper
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried onions
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup cooked rice (optional)
How To Video
- Place the chicken thighs into the base of a mini slow cooker.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over the tops of the chicken.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, ketchup, olive oil, dried onions, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken thighs. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low until the chicken is tender, 3-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and place on cutting board.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the sauce in the slow cooker. Stir, cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes on a high temperature.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and stir into the sauce.
- Top with sesame seeds and serve over rice, if desired. (See notes for the ingredients and instructions to make a single serving of rice).
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup white rice
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Connecting with One Dish Kitchen
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to sign up to receive new single serving recipes in your inbox!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.