Light and incredibly delicious Crockpot Orange Chicken recipe. A healthier twist on traditional Orange Chicken and full of flavor. This single serving slow cooker chicken recipe is so easy to make and tastes so much better than takeout!
Single serving Crock pot and Crock pot style slow cooker recipes have been so popular lately with our One Dish Kitchen readers and I'm excited to share this simple Slow Cooker Orange Chicken recipe with you today.
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken For One
This healthier orange chicken recipe features two boneless, skinless chicken thighs placed on a bed of sliced onions and topped with an incredible orange sauce made with orange preserves, orange juice, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce.
All of the ingredients are placed in a slow cooker and in a few hours you are able to enjoy a flavorful, hearty meal for one.
The key to making Orange Chicken full of so much flavor is making sure you've got the right mix of ingredients in the sauce.
The sauce is made by whisking together:
- orange preserves
- soy sauce
- orange juice
- minced garlic
- a pinch of salt
- ground ginger
How To Make Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Place thinly sliced onions into the bowl of a Crockpot or slow cooker.
- Top the onions with two boneless, skinless chicken thighs and pour the orange sauce over the top.
- Cook the chicken on high for 3 hours or on low temperature for 6 hours.
You'll notice that this version of Orange Chicken is a little different than the popular Panda Express Orange Chicken version.
The chicken pieces are not breaded and I personally love it this way because the wonderful flavors from the sauce really come through.
Cooking the chicken in the slow cooker makes the chicken incredibly tender and is lovely served over a bed of rice with the fragrant orange sauce poured over the top.
What Size Slow Cooker Is Best For Single Serving Recipes?
I use a 1.5-quart slow cooker for most of my single serving slow cooker recipes. It's the perfect size for cooking for one or two people.
If you only have a large slow cooker, you can still make slow cooker meals for one.
To do this, place an oven safe bowl inside of the bowl of your large slow cooker. Place the ingredients into your oven safe bowl and cook as normal.
These pictures show how I've used my large slow cooker to cook a single serving of red beans and rice.
Other Single Serving Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
If you like this slow cooker orange chicken, you might also like to try these single serving slow cooker chicken recipes:
- Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken For One
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl For One
- Slow Cooker Chicken Piccata
What To Serve With Orange Chicken
You might like to serve any one of these single serving side dish recipes with your orange chicken:
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- ½ small onion , thinly sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 7 ounces)
- ¼ cup low sugar orange preserves
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- pinch ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds , optional
- Place the sliced onions in the bowl of a small slow cooker.
- Place the chicken thighs on top of the onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange preserves, orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, salt, and pepper. Pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6 hours (or cook for 3 hours on high).
- Serve with your choice of rice and top with sesame seeds, if using.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.