This Orange Oatmeal Cake recipe is a dream, the mini cake’s tender crumb perfumed with oranges makes it ideal for breakfast, an addition to your brunch table or as an afternoon snack or dessert. This single serving cake is made with oats, orange juice and a few other pantry staples. Bake in a small baking dish or use the batter to make 2 muffins.
A breakfast cake and other similar treats always seem to make mornings feel special.
I’m not a big breakfast eater so by mid morning, I’m usually in the mood for something subtly sweet, satisfying and the ideal accompaniment to my freshly poured cup of coffee.
This is the time when a mini orange oatmeal cake seems to come in handy.
How To Make An Oatmeal Cake
See the recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- orange juice
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar (optional)
An oatmeal cake is made by combining old-fashioned rolled oats with a splash of orange juice in a small saucepan. As the orange juice and oats simmer, the oats become soft. You’re basically cooking the oats in orange juice instead of the traditional way of cooking them in water.
After the oats have softened and cooked, remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to cool.
Meanwhile, whisk together flour, sugar, and baking soda in a medium sized bowl.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together melted butter, an egg and a touch of vanilla.
Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and pour into a small baking dish. The oat cake bakes at 350 degrees F for about 25 minutes.
Best Baking Dish For Mini Cakes
For this oatmeal cake, I use a 5-inch square baking dish.
Other Mini Breakfast Cakes And Muffin Recipes
I love this oatmeal cake because it’s incredibly tasty and so easy to make on a whim.
If you like this mini oatmeal breakfast cake, you might also like to try a few of our favorite breakfast breads and muffins…
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Orange Oatmeal Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar , optional
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- Bring orange juice to a simmer in a 1-quart saucepan. Stir in the oats.
- Cook about 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and baking soda in a medium sized bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together melted butter, an egg and a touch of vanilla.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and pour into a small 5-inch baking dish or use a dish of similar size.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Top with powdered sugar, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!