Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Piccata Recipe For One, this delightful meal has the wonderful lemony flavors found in a traditional Chicken Piccata but without the added carbs and calories from the breading. A single serving meal perfect for anyone cooking for one.
If you're looking for an easy and elegant meal that requires only a few ingredients, this slow cooker chicken piccata recipe is the one you're looking for.
What Is Chicken Piccata?
Chicken piccata is a recipe every home cook should have in their back pocket. It's not only fresh and flavorful but is so easy to make.
Typically, chicken breasts (or thighs) are dredged in seasoned flour and pan fried, then simmered in a light and flavorful lemon sauce.
Slow Cooker Chicken Piccata
I wanted to take the traditional flavors in chicken piccata and lighten the dish.
Since I believe that the best part of chicken piccata is the sauce, I skipped the breading and placed the ingredients in a slow cooker to allow the chicken to cook low and slow while absorbing the wonderful flavors in the lemon sauce.
By slow cooking the chicken, it becomes incredibly tender and juicy. In this light chicken piccata recipe, you still have all of the wonderful flavors you've come to know in this savory dish, but with less carbs and calories.
Unlike many slow cooker recipes where you set the timer and let it cook for 8 hours or more, this slow cooker Chicken Piccata cooks in 4 hours making it an ideal weekend meal or a meal that can be ready by lunchtime.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- chicken breast or thighs
- chicken broth
- lemon juice
Ways To Use Leftover Ingredients
If you have any ingredients left over from this chicken piccata recipe you might like to consider using them in any of these single serving recipes:
- Onions: Vegetable Casserole, Meat Sauce, Swedish Meatballs
- Chicken: Chicken and Dumplings, Chicken Cacciatore, Chicken Caprese Salad
- Chicken broth: Lentil Stew, Potato Soup, Turkey Cutlet
- Lemon juice: Blueberry Cobbler, Lemon Bars, Alfredo Sauce
What To Serve With Chicken Piccata
You could really serve chicken piccata with just about anything, but you'll want to take advantage of its glorious sauce. You might like to consider serving it with any of these single serving side dish recipes:
For my slow cooker single serving meals, I use a small 1.5-quart slow cooker.
If you don't have a small slow cooker, you can modify a large slow cooker by placing a smaller oven-safe bowl inside the bowl of the slow cooker.
How To Modify A Large Slow Cooker
If you already have a large slow cooker but still want to make any of our slow cooker recipes for one, follow these easy steps to modify your slow cooker:
- Place an oven safe bowl inside the base of a slow cooker.
- Fill the bowl with the ingredients and cover the slow cooker with the lid. Cook as directed. The pictures below show how I make Red Beans and Rice For One in a large slow cooker.
- Keep in mind that slow cookers work best when they are about three quarters of the way full.
- When choosing the right oven-safe bowl to place inside your slow cooker, make sure that when the ingredients are placed inside the bowl, they take up at least two thirds to three quarters of bowl.
- When the bowl isn't full enough, the food inside will cook faster and possibly burn.
Other Single Serving Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf
- Slow Cooker Sesame Chicken
- Slow Cooker Italian Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowl
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
- ¼ of a small onion , thinly sliced (about 3 ounces)
- 1 6-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ cup capers , drained
- Place the sliced onions in the bowl of a small slow cooker. (See post for instructions on modifying a large slow cooker).
- Place the chicken on top of the sliced onions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, lemon juice, and salt. Pour over the chicken.
- Top with capers.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook on Low for 4 hours.
- Serve with rice, pasta, or a salad.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.