This delicious Carrot Cake For One is the perfect size for one or two people. You’ll find all the flavors you love in a carrot cake in this easy Recipe For One.
In my family, the cake that is always requested for birthday celebrations or other events is a Carrot Cake. I’m totally fine with that because I happen to love carrot cake too.
A few months ago, for my son’s 20th birthday, I made a non-traditional style carrot cake for him. I say it was non-traditional because I normally make a two-layer carrot cake with a cream cheese filling between the layers. This time, I baked the cake in a pretty bundt pan. I also topped the cake with a orange glaze very similar to the one I use in my Lemon Grapefruit Cake and since I think all carrot cakes need a cream cheese frosting, I made the cream cheese frosting a little lighter and spooned it over the top of the cake after it baked.
While I was making my son’s cake, I kept thinking about ways to create a single serving version of my carrot cake or at the very least, a smaller sized cake which would serve two or three people. I promised myself I would work on this recipe for one very soon.
It was the beginning of the summer and things got busy. I sort of forgot about this single serving recipe and while vacationing with my family, a reader emailed me asking if I had a single serving carrot cake recipe.
It was then that I realized that a Carrot Cake For One was a really good idea and the perfect dessert for anyone cooking for one. As soon as I got back home, I went to work on a recipe for it.
I experimented with the recipe I used for my son’s carrot cake and came up with this beauty. This single serving cake has all the wonderful flavors you love in a carrot cake. It’s basically the carrot cake recipe that I use for birthdays plus the glaze in a scaled down version. There are plenty of chopped carrots and crunchy bits of pecans in every bite. The cake has a tender crumb and a lightly crisp topping – it’s absolutely delicious. The orange glaze made the cake even more moist and flavorful.
I’ve made this cake a few times already and have used a small compact baking pan as well as a small pretty Nordic Ware bundt cake pan to bake the carrot cakes in. This particular bundt cake pan is smaller than a normal sized bundt pan. The pictures in this post show the cakes baked in both pans with information on where to purchase the pans below.
Here’s how the carrot cake comes together…
I start out by mixing together 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 2 large eggs in a mixer.
Next, I whisk together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients…
Add 1 cup grated carrots and 1/4 cup chopped pecans…
Bake the carrot cake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, make the glaze by combining 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup orange juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Spoon the glaze over the cake…
After the cake has cooled completely, make the cream cheese frosting by combining 1/2 stick of softened butter, 4 ounces of softened cream cheese, 8 ounces of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
This carrot cake can serve more than one person if you’re only looking for a slice or two each. If you’re baking this for yourself to enjoy, it will keep fresh in the refrigerator for a week.
This delicious Carrot Cake For One is the perfect size for one or two people. All the ingredients and flavors you love in a carrot cake in a single serving recipe.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup carrots , grated
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 tablespoons butter , softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 8 ounces powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3 teaspoons milk or cream (if desired to achieve a thinner consistency for the bundt cake)
- TO MAKE THE CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Grease or spray pan with Bakers Joy and set aside.
- Mix together the sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine.
- Stir in the carrots and pecans and mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool.
- TO MAKE THE GLAZE
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar with 1/4 cup orange juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Spoon the orange syrup over the cake.
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and blend. (If you're frosting a cake made in a baking pan, the consistency of the frosting should be perfect. However, if you want to frost a bundt cake, you may want the frosting to be lighter so that it will "drip" down the sides of the cake. If this is the case, add the extra teaspoons of milk or cream to the frosting until you reach the desired consistency).
- Spread on cooled carrot cake.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram? We’d love to connect, drop by and say hello! If you’d like to read more from ZagLeft, be sure to subscribe to never miss a post!
As a gift to our readers, subscribers can receive a FREE copy of our eCookbook, Top 10 Recipes For One!
Similar products used in this recipe…
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Other recipes you might like…