See how easy it is to make perfect Rice Krispie Treats in the microwave! This wonderful crispy rice and marshmallow recipe is a single serving version of a classic dessert. Only three ingredients needed and so easy to make.
Rice Krispie Treats were a favorite dessert of mine growing up.
In fact, it was probably one of the first recipes my mother let me cook by myself. What could go wrong? Marshmallows, a little butter, Rice Krispie cereal – so easy to throw together.
I first posted this “Rice Krispies Treats Recipe For One” a few years ago when my kids were in college.
I wanted to give them an easy recipe they could make in their dorm rooms. The photos I took for that old post made me cringe; poor lighting, out of focus, and just plain old boring.
Giant Rice Krispie Treat
Since this recipe for rice crispy treats is a total classic, I thought it was high time to update the photos and have a little fun with creating this single serving favorite again.
I’ve mentioned in earlier recipes how much I love the little 5-inch dishes for my recipes. These baking dishes are the perfect size when cooking for one. I ordered mine from Amazon but I’ve seen similar sized dishes that work quite well at other stores.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- crispy rice cereal
How To Make Rice Krispie Treats
- Melt either 8 large marshmallows or 1 cup of miniature marshmallows and 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a microwave for 30 seconds.
- Stir in 1 cup of of crispy rice cereal and pour into your buttered baking dish.
With Easter right around the corner, you might want to consider adding pastel candies as a topping to your rice crispy treats.
You can even spread a layer of lemon curd on top – talk about good!!!
In minutes, you can enjoy this easy to make treat.
Tips For Making The Best Rice Krispie Treats
- Once the marshmallows have melted, remove them from the heat immediately. If they cook longer, they will harden and thicken.
- Don’t overstir the cereal once it’s added to the marshmallows. The crispy rice cereal is delicate and over-stirring can break the cereal pieces.
- Press the mixture into the pan gently. You don’t want a firm and compact rice krispie treat – instead, you want a gooey and light treat.
Rice Krispie Treats Recipe Variations
Feel free to get creative here! You might like to try:
- Cocoa Krispies
- Cinnamon Toast Crunch
- Lucky Charms
- Reese’s Puffs
How To Store Rice Krispie Treats
Cover or store the rice krispie treat in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
For this Rice Krispie Treats recipe, I use a 5-inch baking dish, for best results use a dish of similar size.
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Other No Bake Dessert Recipes
If you like this easy to make rice crispy treats recipe, you might also like these single serving no bake dessert recipes:
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows or 8 large marshmallows
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- Place the butter and the marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove bowl from microwave.
- Stir in the crispy rice cereal.
- Transfer to small lightly buttered dish. Gently press down with the back of a spoon. Cool before eating.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Connect With One Dish Kitchen!
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving meals and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to sign up to receive new single serving recipes in your inbox!