Quick and easy fish tacos recipe, the perfect seafood recipe to serve one or two people. Perfectly seasoned fish bakes in minutes in either a toaster oven or a conventional oven and topped with a sweet curried broccoli slaw.
If you’re looking for a meal that can be ready in under 30 minutes, this fish taco recipe is the one to go for. This easy seafood recipe features tender, flaky fish that cooks quickly and is topped with a flavorful easy to make broccoli slaw.
The fish can be cooked in either a toaster oven or conventional oven.
Best Fish To Use In Fish Tacos
I use a delicate textured fish such as tilapia in this taco recipe because I love its mild taste.
Just about any flaky white fish will work well in fish tacos, some suggestions include red snapper, catfish or trout. Although not traditional, salmon will also work with these Baja-style tacos.
Pro Tip: If you’re cooking for one or two, you might find this tip helpful…
I often purchase a bag of frozen tilapia (or other fish fillet) and keep it in my freezer. These bags of fish are often less expensive than single pieces of fresh fish and when you feel like cooking a seafood recipe, you have the fillets already on hand.
What Is Broccoli Slaw?
Broccoli slaw is a salad similar to coleslaw. It usually comes in packages which can be found in the produce aisle of your local grocery.
Broccoli slaw consists of shredded broccoli, carrots and cabbage.
Ingredients In Fish Tacos with Broccoli Slaw
- olive oil
- chili powder
- curry powder
- garlic powder
- tilapia fillets
- broccoli slaw
- lime juice
- white wine vinegar
- curry powder
- black pepper
- Optional garnishes – cilantro, cheese
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
How To Make Fish Tacos
Stir the olive oil, spices, and salt in a small bowl until blended. Brush the spice mixture on both sides of each fish fillet.
Place fish on a foil lined toaster oven or standard baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Note: The baking time in this recipe is based on using a thinner tilapia fillet. If you use a thicker piece of fish such as salmon or catfish, increase the cook time by 5 minutes and check for doneness.
How To Know If Fish Is Fully Cooked
You can tell if fish is fully cooked if it becomes opaque and flakes. Poke the tines of a fork into the thickest portion of the fish, gently twist the fork and pull apart some of the fish. If the fish is undercooked it will resist flaking and is also translucent.
Pour the broccoli slaw into a large bowl and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, vinegar, curry powder, honey, salt, and pepper.
Pour over the broccoli salad and toss to coat.
Warm the tortillas by either placing them in the microwave for 20 seconds or by heating a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla at a time, flipping to warm both sides, about 5 minutes total.
How To Construct A Fish Taco
Break up some of the cooked fish, place it in a warm tortilla, and top it with the broccoli slaw.
Top with chopped cilantro and cheese, if desired.
Other Ways To Use Broccoli Slaw
You will likely have some of the bagged broccoli slaw left over from this recipe, consider…
- Using it instead of lettuce greens in a salad.
- Using it as a substitute for pasta; sauté with a little olive oil and garlic in a pan and top with Marinara sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Adding it to your stir fry with a protein such as chicken, beef or shrimp
What To Serve With Fish Tacos
Other Single Serving Fish Recipes
For more information on the cooking and baking dishes I use in our “recipes for one”, please visit our FAQ page.
For examples of the dishes used at One Dish Kitchen, please visit our Store page.
Fish Tacos Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tilapia fillets (about 4 ounces each)
- 1 1/2-2 cups broccoli slaw
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 flour tortillas
- Optional garnishes – cilantro, cheese
- Heat toaster oven or conventional oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)
- Stir the olive oil, chili powder, curry powder, garlic powder, and salt in a small bowl until blended. Brush the spice mixture on both sides of each fish fillet.
- Place fish on a foil lined toaster oven or standard baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Pour the broccoli slaw into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, white wine vinegar, curry powder, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the broccoli salad and toss to coat.
- Warm the tortillas by either placing them in the microwave for 20 seconds or by heating a medium frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla at a time, flipping to warm both sides, about 5 minutes total.
- To construct a taco, break up some of the cooked fish, place it in a warm tortilla, and top it with the broccoli slaw.
- Top with chopped cilantro and cheese, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using this link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.